your call will be answered in the order it was received

I hear this all the time while in a hold queue on the phone, but it sounds like bad English to me. I would prefer “...in the order in which it was received”, although that does sound a little overwrought. I just can’t think of anything better. What do you experts say?

When discussing the relative pronouns which or that, the rule indicates which is used to introduce nonrestrictive clauses and that is used to introduce restrictive clauses.

Whatever the rule, it is my opinion that both pronouns are overused. Take any writing sample and see how many times you could delete both pronouns and the implied and initial meaning remains unchanged. For example “I think he should post again” compared to “I think that he should post again.”

However, considering the phrase in question is referring to a specific call, I might suggest the following to be preferred: “your call will be answered in the order that it was received.”

canderson January 8, 2006 @ 5:03PM

This has always bothered me too, although I could never quite put my finger on why. Another one that strikes me as similarly odd is "objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

porsche January 9, 2006 @ 6:13PM

I think I know what bothers me about this. It's that passive third person thing, You know, when someone says "the problem will be resolved by Thursday" instead of saying "I will resolve the problem by Thursday" because they don't want to take personal responsibility for the problem.

porsche January 10, 2006 @ 5:58PM

I would like to suggest that, because they are possibly receiving calls continuously, that is, they are currently receiving your call, and have quite possibly already received calls, hence the necessity for this message, that a possible construction might be:

Calls will be answered in the order they are received.

or alternately:

Calls are answered in the order they are received.

The first implies that calls are not currently being answered, perhaps because the business is closed, while the second implies that they are diligently working on a continuous backlog.

ajmcpher April 1, 2006 @ 3:52PM

How about "your call will be answered after we answer all the other calls that were received before your call...was received"?

porsche April 4, 2006 @ 6:23PM

Now you're goofing with the intent of the message, which is to reassure the customer that they will soon be helped. It's now become - for the sake of grammar - a cold declaration. I can almost picture a man in a black suit with a gun saying it, and maybe tacking on the phrase "so you're just gonna hafta wait like everybody else." I like "...in the order in which it was received". Wordy suits me just fine.

jason.moody December 12, 2006 @ 11:13AM

It's very interesting to see all comments about this simple message. I read all your comments but I couldn't really understand any of the reasons why some say it sounds awkward or it doesn't sound right. I actually find it pretty efficient: it's short, straight-forward, and understandable.

LucasEllerNYC March 19, 2009 @ 8:18AM

Best alternative:

Your call will be answered in the order received."

harrigan22 June 5, 2009 @ 11:55AM

I think there is a logical problem with the phrase. *A* call does not have an order (well even if it does it is always 1st, last and only), only a series of calls can have order. So a call can't be answered in the order *IT* was received, only in the order ALL the calls were received. My rework, "Calls are answered in the order received."

caw75 September 14, 2009 @ 3:55PM

Christian, have you ever stood in line? Oh wait, by your reasoning, that would be impossible. Even if there are ten people in line, no single person can be in that line. It would be meaningless to say that someone is third in line since lines can only have people as group in it. Even the saying "next in line, please" would be a non-sequitor. Poppycock.

porsche September 14, 2009 @ 6:52PM

Porsche,

Yes, I have stood in line. Standing in line is not impossible. Single people can be in line, I never said they couldn't however an individual thing can not be ordered meaningfully. Do this. Take an a coin from you pocket and put it on the table, now arrange that coin in order. Can't do it? That is because an individual thing can not (meaningfully) have an order. Strictly speaking you can. It is simultaneously first, and last as I said before. Now take out two coins and place the one with the most recent date stamp closest to you and the one with the earlier date further from you. Now there is an order. Only sets of things have order. So when someone said the order IT was received it makes not sense because you don't know its order in relation to what? To the birth of Christ? To the start of WWII, to the relation to the callers birth date? Of course not, it wants us to assume the order in relation to the time the other calls were answered but that is not stated and that is the problem with the statement. BTW it is "non sequitur." not "non-sequitor."

caw75 September 14, 2009 @ 7:04PM

I think you miss my point. Referring to a single item in a list, singly, does not imply that it is the only item. referring to "call" instead of "calls" does not in any way negate the presence of the other items. The word "order" still applies reasonably.

porsche September 15, 2009 @ 7:41AM

No I do get your point. The problem is that your point is wrong. As I said twice, individual things cannot be meaningfully ordered. Your example was a good one, saying next in line refers to the LINE, a line is a set, that is a group of many individual things, in which the NEXT (thing/item/person) in that like makes sense.

caw75 September 15, 2009 @ 9:24AM

Christian is 100% correct. "Your call will be answered in the order it was received" makes no sense. Multiple phone calls can be answered in a particular order, but one phone call can not.
Using coins, as Christian did: Lay three pennies (pretend they are phone calls) down on a table. Pick them up in the same order you laid them down. Easy. Pick them up in a different order than you laid them down. Easy. The concept of "order" makes sense with multiple pennies. Now lay only one penny (pretend it is "your call") on the table. Pick it up in the same order you laid it down. Easy. Pick it up in a different order then you laid it down. It can't be done. To say "your penny will be picked up in the order it was laid down" makes no sense because one penny can only be picked up one way. Only when other pennies get involved ("pennies will be picked up in the order in which they were laid down"), does it make any sense (no pun intended) to mention the order in which they will be picked up.

max_level September 28, 2009 @ 12:53PM

No, you did not get my point. Referring to an individual thing in a context where other things exist is not the same thing as referring to an individual thing in isolation, nor does it imply that it is the only thing that exists. An argument that suggests such a reference is invalid because it necessitates the non-existence of the other items is itself specious. Oh, and you're quite right about non-sequitur.

Oh, and for what it's worth, one could make a case, at least as a mathematical abstraction, that a list with one item or even no items at all, zero, nada, still has an order.

porsche September 28, 2009 @ 5:48PM

OK, how about this one? I just called the IRS. While on hold, I heard this exact comment: "our customers are answered in the order received" not "calls" but "our customers." Doesn't that sound odd? I didn't know the IRS receives customers over the phone. I didn't think they'd fit through the wires.

porsche January 19, 2010 @ 4:09PM

What about:

Calls are answered in the order of their receipt?

rmensies January 24, 2011 @ 7:12AM

Regarding the unfortunate phrase "your call will be answered in the order it was received", I think many of the responses are putting too fine a point on this as well as missing the obvious fact that it is grammatically incorrect. The simple solution: add an "in" to the end of the sentence, thus making "your call will be answered in the order it was recieved in". Sure it's unwieldy, but as this seems to have become a part of the language now, getting folks to change the whole sentence, or even to acknowledge that it's wrong, might take some doing.

thomas.waldo February 4, 2011 @ 9:40AM

I would say that, invariably, when I am placed on hold by an answering service, the message says “your call will be answered in the order it was received”– and each time, I cringe at the missing words, and I actually correct the voice out loud (at the risk of being taken for a madman), shouting “in the order IN WHICH it was received!” into the phone. I don’t think that’s stuffy or wordy at all. Barring that, the only "quick fix" that I can think of would be to simply say "Your call will be answered as soon as possible"... When it comes down to it, what good is telling the caller that he's in a call queue if you're not saying how long the queue is? I would prefer the type of system that says "your wait time will be approximately 12 hours and 16 minutes"... Needless to say, if I receive multiple emails on this commentary, I will answer them in any order I damn well please!! Thanks!

Erroll October 30, 2012 @ 1:36PM

1) "Your call will be answered in the order (in which) (it was) received" is terrible English, as shown by others here, because clearly an order refers to a series of things, not one single thing.

2) "Calls are answered in the order received" is correct English, but to appear personal, companies want to tell you about "your" call, not just calls in general.

3) "We answer calls in the order received" is also correct English. This option not only has the same problem as (2) above, but is even worse because the company becomes the subject of the sentence by the use of active voice. So this makes the sentence primarily about the company, rather than your call.

4) "Your call will be answered in turn" is, I think, this is the best solution.

Mycroft May 21, 2013 @ 4:54PM

4) "Your call will be answered in turn" is, I think, the best solution.

Mycroft May 21, 2013 @ 5:05PM

In the UK the answerphone service tells us that we were called at such and such a time, then that "the caller withheld their number". One caller, but their number. Same unhappy clash of singular/plural as in your lines above. Sounds terrible - but they never thought that grammar mattered when they recorded it.

(By the way, who cares about a missed call, if the caller's number remains unknown? Why would we want to know that a mysterious stranger called at all?)

Brus May 24, 2013 @ 8:09AM

@Brus - what you are referring to is "singular they", and may be an "unhappy clash of singular/plural" to you, but for many of us is a much more elegant solution than "the caller withheld his or her number".

There is nothing ungrammatical about singular they, just as we use "you are" with singular meaning, and it is the natural follow-on to impersonal pronouns such as "anybody, everybody" etc - "If anybody calls when I'm out, ask them to leave a message". This is absolutely standard in British English when the sex of the person is unknown, and is used for example in passport application forms. It is also pretty common in American English too; even AP have now dropped their objection to it.

What's more, singular they has a long and illustrious history in English, going back at least to Chaucer (and long before political correctness, before you bring that one up) :

"And whoso fyndeth hym out of swich blame, they wol come up ..."

and including:

Jane Austen - "I would have everybody marry if they can do it properly"
Thackery - "A person can't help their birth"
Orwell - "We can only know an actual person by observing their behaviour"

And it's even sometimes used when the person's sex is known:

"There's not a man I meet but doth salute me as if I were their well-acquainted friend" (Shakespeare)
"No man goes to battle to be killed. But they do get killed" (George Bernard Shaw)

I'm sorry that natural idiomatic English should sound so terrible to you.

Warsaw Will May 24, 2013 @ 9:03AM

Neither the phrase "in the order it was received," or "in the order that/which it was received" is grammatically correct. The only correct way to say what you mean is "in the order IN which it was received." Your call is IN an order, or a line, if you will. It will be answered by someone IN a certain order, and that order is the one IN WHICH it was received. See how both "in's" are needed as prepositions? The word "which" is necessary to specify the particular order to which you refer. You could also say "IN the order IN which it was made." If you're standing in a line, you will be called IN the order IN WHICH you are standing. The active/passive issue is irrelevant. You would still have to say "we will answer your call IN the order IN which we received it" to be correct. The point is that both "IN" prepositions are needed, as they refer to two different relationships.

DL June 10, 2013 @ 12:08PM

I think it's a matter of finding a compromise between "correct" grammar, simplicity, brevity, clarity, and direct reassurance to the caller that "your" call matters to us. All things considered, the commonly used "the order it was received" is a little grating to my ears as well, but understandable and, I hate to say, acceptable.

nyydave November 18, 2013 @ 3:27PM

The back and forth over whether it should be call or calls is silly, since 'your call' is singular, as it should be. Your call is in queue. It doesn't matter if it is one, or one of many. To use the penny example, place a penny at the end of a line, and it is appropriate to say that your penny (singular) will be picked up after the others, in order.

"Your call will be answered in the order it was received" is not inaccurate, or grammatically incorrect, no matter how it sounds to some ears. 'In which" is unnecessary, evidenced by the fact that 'that' could take its place (equally unnecessarily).

The real worry? Hearing the message on a 911 call.

Nana February 6, 2014 @ 3:10AM

What bothered the original poster is whether calls are received an order (with no acknowledgement order is something calls rest IN).
Sounds stupid, right? You are being reassured - the calls in queue will be answered in an order - however, is their present order not indeed "the order IN which they were received"? We think of them being IN an order. Think about whether you would puzzle with other tourists over a sign reading, "We ask that you return to the hotel in the bus you arrived. (end of sentence)"? We are accustomed to thinking about order in terms of a set, "into" which things come and "out of" which they go, and our ears expect the relationship to be stated as of one thing "IN WHICH" another thing resides. The examples here seem missing something.
No opinion though, personally, as to whether one is entitled to hear about calls being received "IN order".

Howars July 27, 2016 @ 5:01PM

If the average American lexicon were greater than about 500 words, "Calls are answered chronologically" might be a viable option.

joeacupuncture July 7, 2017 @ 7:19PM