How did this word come to mean “a usually inferior work of art or literature produced chiefly for monetary return”?

This is one explanation I found online:

POTBOILER: Formulaic works of art produced cheaply and quickly produced to satisfy a market demand -- usually for genre paintings -- and to make a modest income (i.e., to keep soup boiling in the pot). By extension, the term has come to mean any work considered to lack distinctive quality or originality.

purpledragon_13 December 1, 2002, 4:46am

Purple Dragon's right again. A potboiler is a commercial project of no great moral or aesthetic significance that smooths out the jagged valleys of a freelancer's income.

I didn't know until this moment that painters use the term too. I know it from freelance writers.

tnh March 17, 2003, 10:33pm

Michael Quinion's site is a good one for finding origins of words and phrases. Another good one is Evan Morris's

erle April 10, 2003, 10:22pm