Submitted by samour on December 3, 2004

Die theater / die party

Hello, everyone! Pardon my ignorance, but could anyone tell me what a “die theater” or “die party” mean? There’s no context. It’s just a phrase from a grammmar book. (I went to die party last night). So, maybe it’s a misprint? And they intended just the article “THE”? I did not find anything on the Net, they suggest that it’s German!!! (’die’ is an article in German), so who can explain it, please? Thanks to everybody.

That is almost certainly a typo. A 'die theatre' is not something I am familiar with, and although the Germans have adopted 'party' to their language, I believe they use the neuter gender with it: das Party.

NB. I'm dying to go to the party would have a substantially different meaning ;-)

Being German and just happening to peruse this site - "Party" in German is in fact female, for whatever reason, so "die Party" is the correct usage.
On the other hand, "Theater", which is also used in German, is neutral, so it'd be "das Theater".

Ok, thanks to everyone! I was almost sure it was a typo. Just I thought I'd consult native speakres:-) to be on the safe side, you know:-)

Unless you're playing with dice, and then it would be a 'die' party... but a 'die' theatre doesn't make any sense.
The typo for 'das' makes much more than a party for dice. :)