Submitted by xylo on July 30, 2007

nowadays business?

Is this correct? As in “in response to some of the most problematic issues of nowadays business”? To me it sounds strange, although it seems to have a couple hundred entries in Google. I’d opt for “today’s business”.

Yes, "nowadays business" would be both clumsy sounding and ungrammatical. "Business nowadays" would be fine grammatically, if a bit informal. "Today's business" or "contemporary business" would be better in a formal context.

For one thing, in order to be grammatical, it has to be nowadays' with an apostrophe. It's a possesive noun. I think it's still an incorrect (or at least awkward) use of the word, but not ungrammatical, per se. This might be one of those cases where it's technically correct but non-idiomatic, the kind of thing a non-native speaker might say. Here's an example. I might say "I drove my car to the store", but I would never say "I steered my car to the store" or "I piloted my car to the store" or "I directed my car to the store". None of these are grammatically or contextually incorrect, but they're simply not said. Not sure where, but I think there's another post on this site somewhere discussing this very issue.

I have to think about it some more, but in your case, nowadays may just be the wrong word. Nowadays, doesn't just mean "today". It's more general and abstract, meaning "in current times" or "in this day and age", as in, "nowadays we drive in cars. In olden days we rode horses or walked". Is it really your intent to describe problems of business in modern times, or are you simply describing your business's current problems? If the latter, then nowadays is incorrect. Another example: I would never say: "In olden times I went to Blockbuster" if I really meant "Yesterday..." or even "A while ago I went to Blockbuster". It would be inappropriate (but not ungrammatical).

"Nowadays" may be used as an adverb or a noun, so "business of nowadays" would work, assuming that you mean to describe modern business in general, as described by the post above.

The only problem is the adverb placement. Try:

"... in response to some of the most problematic issues of business nowadays . . "
(Same position where "these days" or "today" would go.)

Or it could go first. "Nowadays, kids can hardly read at all!"

Also, note that Google's search engine finds instances with extra punctuation, even if you use quoted strings. So many of those "nowadays business" hits are actually examples of "Nowadays, business..."