When did contacting someone become reaching out?

I have recently received a number of emails where the phrase “Thank you for reaching out to ___” is used instead of what I would expect to be the normal expression “Thank you for contacting ___”.

These emails are from companies in the USA.

Is “reaching out” now the in vogue expression for the simple act of contacting someone?

'Reaching out' is one of those naff, feely-touchy phrases that companies have started to use to show they CARE.

Skeeter Lewis Jul-18-2014

7 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

@HS Thank you for reaching out to us in your hour of need. As you now know, we operate an outreach program for those whom the modern vernacular has left feeling bewildered, betrayed and benighted.

jayles the unwoven Jul-18-2014

11 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

Beat you to it HS - http://painintheenglish.com/case/5118 - apparently it's quite common in something close to your ex-line of business - tech companies.

Warsaw Will Jul-20-2014

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

@WW
"Beat you to it HS"
Indeed.
I should have performed a more diligent search.

I never heard that particular phrase during my time in the IT business, although I do agree that area of business has always been a wellspring of management speak.
The phrase in question first assaulted my ears during an episode of a TV series entitled "Crisis" where it was used in the context of FBI personnel requesting information from various parties.
However it was it's appearance in the recent emails which drove me to raise the issue on PITE.

user106928 Jul-20-2014

1 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

Apologies for the errant apostrophe in my previous post.

Dyske, can we please have an edit function?

user106928 Jul-20-2014

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

I was hearing 'reaching out' on US TV shows such as NYPD Blue 20 years ago. The cops would use it to describe the process of contacting someone with whom they'd previously had no relationship or trying to re-establish a rapport with someone who was now more distant or estranged. It was usually used in the context of getting help or assistance.

Phil Woodford Sep-01-2014

1 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

@Phil Woodford - that sounds pretty much like this definition from Oxford Dictionaries Online:

"(chiefly North American) Seek to establish communication with someone, with the aim of offering or obtaining assistance or cooperation:

"his style was to reach out all the time, especially to members of his own party anyone in need of assistance should reach out to the authorities as soon as possible" '

Admittedly this is slightly different from the meaning I'm used to, but what both Hairy Scot and I have noticed is that 'reach out' is being used to simply mean 'contact' as in these examples form various tech sites:

‘If you would like any other suggestions or need help with transitioning your current Google Reader RSS feeds, please reach out to a Library’

‘Wired has also reached out to Google for additional comment.’

‘If you want to follow up, feel free to reach out to me by phone.’

Warsaw Will Sep-03-2014

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

Who ever started the expression Reach Out ( I WILL REACH OUT to you,) sbould be shot along with everyone that uses this stupid saying. I don't reach out to anyone. I call or contact you.

William pelow May-18-2017

30 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

There are two legitimate uses of the phrase: offering help, and asking for help. I cringe when I see newscasters use it to mean "We went to the house and pounded on the door but nobody answered."

Norma Chase Jul-31-2017

4 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

In plain English: "we want to appear as if we are better than you and could possibly help you with something but probably won't". It's an attempt at a corporate kiss-off and an attempt to feel more attractive than you and/or your organisation, and is common with arrogant small-time tech companies.

peter2 Sep-07-2017

5 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

I am glad to read that I am not the only person annoyed by the current usage of this expression!

Patricia1 Sep-30-2017

24 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

I am soooo fed up with being "reached out to" instead of being "contacted."
It is so false when an email arrives with phrases like "You reached out to us" or "I reached out to you."
First I received such phrases in emails from USA but now New Zealand seems to have cottoned-on to it too! It drives me batty!!

OB1NZ Apr-10-2018

9 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

Saying, "reaching out" when you mean to say, "contact" or "ask" is inappropriate and irritating. It connotes that you are in trouble and need help so when companies or anyone else says to customers or to anyone else, "Thank you for reaching out" it comes off as condescending and implying you need help.
When someone with a drug problem reaches out they are doing so after a lot of indecision and are in serious need of help.
Same when a person with a mental problem "reaches out".
If one is about to fall off a cliff, and they reach out, that means they are reaching out with their hand for help. They are not contacting, they are reaching out. Conversely the same goes for when a customer is e-mailing, contacting or asking, they are "reaching out". Please stop using the phrase everywhere it is not appropriate.
Replying to below, YES the following is appropriate.
".. would use it to describe the process of contacting someone with whom they'd previously had no relationship or trying to re-establish a rapport with someone who was now more distant or estranged. It was usually used in the context of getting help or assistance."

Bobtheaverageenglishguy Jun-12-2018

5 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

I wanted to edit the message below but was unable to. I meant to write,
"Conversely the same goes for when a customer is e-mailing, contacting or asking, they are NOT "reaching out"!

Political correctness was probably the mother of this, one of the dumbest phrases yet. The FBI is going to "reach out" to the second alleged witness in the Kavanaugh case? Reach out? That was the official announcement. From my many years of experience the FBI doesn't reach out. It interrogates, investigates, questions, digs, intimidates, et al. It never "reaches out."

Gonzo One Oct-02-2018

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

The only people who can use the phrase "Reach Out" are the Four Tops https://youtu.be/qd6XkaKmqMM

When I receive a text or email or even snail mail with this (as Skeeter Lewi calls it) naff phrase, reply with the above.

It appears to be particularly endemic in communications from HR departments.

user107318 Oct-19-2018

1 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

Do you have a question? Submit your question here