Is the confusion of certain words a regional issue?

I have often noticed that in Scotland quite a few people tend to confuse words like:

• amount / number: e.g. Amount of people
  • much / many: e.g. Too much eggs
  • less / fewer: e.g. Less eggs

There are possibly others in this category.

Has anyone noticed this in other areas?

Or

My wife always uses "yet" at the end of a sentence instead of the word "still". "We have to go to the store yet." She is from Nebraska.

Reb December 16, 2015, 1:23am

These errors are also very commonly found in the US (grew up in New Jersey). I'll admit that I've probably used "amount" for "number" a few times, but supermarkets are massive offenders of the less/fewer rule. ("10 items or less!")

zac December 20, 2015, 9:42pm

Absolutely one of my greatest bugbears. I am at pains to tell everyone (or at least those closest to me) that this is one of the points of the grammar wars that we are losing. Hate it when I hear people saying 'the amount of people'. NO,NO,NO!

Doreen Finkelstein January 11, 2016, 12:31am