website or web site

Websters says it’s two words.

• September 28, 2005
  • Posted by dan
  • Filed in Usage

The AP style guide, which is used by journalists, shows it to be Web site, World Wide Web, "surf the Web," etc.

Leah October 26, 2005, 2:28pm

As a web programmer, I use it both ways, with slightly different connotations. Webster's (or any methodically run reference) cannot keep up with common usage of technological terms. "Email" vs. "E-mail" wasn't decided until Microsoft, of all things - issued an edict on it.

jeremy September 29, 2005, 5:43pm

Leah is totally correct. But it drives me crazy. The AP style, the U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual, and the Merriam-Webster online dictionary ALL spell it out clearly: It is Web site. And it makes sense. Web refers to the proper term World Wide Web, so it should be cap'd. However, I just bought The Chicago Manual of Style and in its Glossary, it had "website" !! Arghh!!

Bobbe336 February 24, 2012, 11:41am

"website" all the way. go with one and stick with it.

e October 5, 2005, 3:51pm

I always say "website." What bothers me is seeing "Web site" with the capital letter.

jonghyundunbar September 28, 2005, 11:35pm