Submitted by dan  •  September 28, 2005

website or web site

Websters says it’s two words.

I always say "website." What bothers me is seeing "Web site" with the capital letter.

As a web programmer, I use it both ways, with slightly different connotations. Webster's (or any methodically run reference) cannot keep up with common usage of technological terms. "Email" vs. "E-mail" wasn't decided until Microsoft, of all things - issued an edict on it.

"website" all the way. go with one and stick with it.

The AP style guide, which is used by journalists, shows it to be Web site, World Wide Web, "surf the Web," etc.

Leah is totally correct. But it drives me crazy. The AP style, the U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual, and the Merriam-Webster online dictionary ALL spell it out clearly: It is Web site. And it makes sense. Web refers to the proper term World Wide Web, so it should be cap'd. However, I just bought The Chicago Manual of Style and in its Glossary, it had "website" !! Arghh!!