Submitted by Hairy Scot  •  March 6, 2012

How to use floccinaucinihilipilification

I recently stumbled across the word “floccinaucinihilipilification” and have been struggling to find ways of using it in polite conversation.

:-)

Any suggestions?

You did fine just now.

I have a floccinaucinihilipilification of the use of "floccinaucinihilipilification" in conversation.

I don't think I'd ever use it in conversation, polite or impolite. There was however a game show in the UK called Catchword (early nineties?) where you had to make the longest word you could from a given set of letters. This particular F-word came up all the time.

I remember that show. The host was Paul something.

I can't even pronounce this word. so difficult

My suggestion would be not to use it. ;-)

It would be impolite to verbalize that word, because it is difficult to say without spraying spittle on nearby listeners--both while actually saying it, and then immediately afterward when you are snorting trying not to laugh.

I agree with dave. That's the only way to use it without drawing raised eyebrows. :-P