Submitted by greggnagel on June 23, 2005

Am I Missing Something?

How would one punctuate the following sentence?

We walk with you every step of the way from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

(I feel like there should be something between ‘every step of the way’ and ‘from initial conceptual design...”)

A comma between "from" and "initial" wouldn't be correct.

What about: "We walk with you every step of the way, from initial conceptual design through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation."

Get it right: It's not a hyphen--it's a DASH.

I will never forget the difference again -- now that I know the difference. THANKS SEAN FOR BEING SO BITINGLY CORRECT WITH YOUR GRAMMAR!

To be specific: it's an em dash. :p

... What about a colon?

"We walk you through every step of the way: From initial concept design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation."

That would break up the sentence, at least. Wouldn't you say?

Sorry... I misquoted. But you get the idea.

A comma separating FROM and INITIAL would make it read better.

I agree with Dave Ratzinger, er, I mean, Dave Rattigan.

actually, i think it shouldn't be:

we walk with you, every step of the way, from the initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

nor

we walk with you every step of the way, from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

infact, the sentence is just too long i think, so i would actually just rephrase it...

i would write it:

from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation, we walk with you every step of the way.

hmm, i have no clue if any of this is right, it just sounds right to me haha.

by the way, nice site ^_^

I fully agree with Mr. Harvey.

What's wrong with a hyphen?

We walk with you every step of the way - from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

This sounds like advertising, so I think it can be informal. So I agree with the use of a hyphen. Traditionally a comma or dash would be used:

We walk with you every step of the way, from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

We walk with you every step of the way--from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

Also, since you are using a construction of "from - through", and since "through" is separated from the ultimate goal of implementation, I would suggest adding "finally" or something like that, to indicate the goal has been reached:

We walk with you every step of the way - from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and finally, implementation.

Or, since I think "initial" sounds redundant:

We walk with you every step of the way - from conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and finally, implementation.

I certainly wouldn't use a colon. If you do, it is not correct to capitalize the word following it.

USE THE HYPHEN!