I’m home

“I am home.” Does “home” function here as a noun or an adverb?

• February 6, 2005
  • Posted by Dyske
  • Filed in Grammar

It functions as an adverb meaning 'at, to, or in the direction of home'. This also occurs in sentences like "I am going home".

Persephone Imytholin February 6, 2005, 10:27am

At and to are not adverbs but prepositions.

It's a noun that looks like an adverb because you've dropped out 'now at' or 'here now at' from the sentence.

daniel February 12, 2005, 6:42am

Um, no. The prepositional phrases 'at home', 'to home' and 'in the direction of home' are adjuncts, or things that modify the verb.

Home in 'I am home', 'Go home' or any equivalent construction is an adverb; like many other words, it does more than one job.

Persephone Imytholin February 12, 2005, 8:29am

As I frequently say, this is simply the case of a dropped preposition. "At" is implied, thus "home" is, indeed, a noun.

Nigel February 26, 2005, 7:03pm

There's no dispute that home is a noun, but it can still be an adverb. Statistically, words in English that act as only one part of speech are a rarity.

Persephone Imytholin February 26, 2005, 11:23pm

That is true. You can have entire phrases or even clauses function as an adverb (or so I was taught), as long as it modifies the verb and pertains to "how," "when," "where," and "to what extent." The following sentences with adverbial phrases and clauses are a few examples:

How: "Johnny answered his mother _in a nonchalant way._"
When: "Sue didn't turn around _when I tapped her shoulder._"

"I am _[at] home._" definitely contains "home" as a noun, an object of the preposition, but also an adverb, since "at home" answers one of the adverb-identifying questions--"where?"

xuan February 27, 2005, 1:20am

Great. I've been confused myself over this topic, and here I'm facing two different answers just again. But yeah, it helps, as long as we get the meaning I think it's fine either way :D

jUwa March 7, 2012, 4:05am

“'I am home.' Does 'home' function here as a noun or an adverb?"

Does it matter?

JJMBallantyne March 8, 2012, 9:51am