Submitted by marta on December 21, 2004

Zorbing? What’s that?

Has anybody ever heard of ‘zorbing’? It’s supposed to be the name for a new type of an extreme sport. Could any x-treme sport lover explain to me what it is and where this kind of sport is done, please? It must be a sort of a neologism, I guess, as it’s not listed in the majority of dictionaries.By the way, does anyone know where this word comes from?

You can look up it in 'goole' or some others.
Then you will find it's a provoking game created in New Zealand.

Tealee, what is 'goole' and what do you mean by others? You mean more specific dictionaries? Can you give me any link or a book reference?

I think Tealee mistyped "Google."

This is what I found at www.worldwidewords.org:
"Imagine yourself suspended inside a ten-foot clear plastic sphere by nylon ropes, then rolled to the top of a steep hill and pushed off. No brakes, no steering, just you and gravity."

A speck more reasearch would have revealed the official Zorb site, www.zorb.com (how hard was that?), where the following official, Concise Oxford English Dictionary definition can be found:

zorbing [international linguist characters I can't type] n. a sport in which a participant is secured inside an inner capsule in a large, transparent ball which is then rolled along the ground or down hills. --ORIGIN 1990s: invented word from _zorb_ (the name of the ball used in this activity) + *ING^1.*

The site is hilarious and well worth a look.

Excuse me, Speedwell, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to do more "reasearch." OK, ok. I'm sorry, just had to get you back. Anyway.... I'm ready for a truce. This is silly.

But you and Tealee have a point. People who can get to this website can look these things up online themselves. The research might be interesting.

Yes I think "goole" was meant to be "Google" that wonderful search engine named after the number 1 followed by 100 zeros.
Then there's a "googleplex", the number 1 followed by a google of zeros.
Happy Christmas to all lovers of English and it's nuances.

I saw zorbing on TV once. It looks like tons of fun!

Minor correction: 1 with 100 zeros is spelled "googol" but it is the origin of the name Google.

See:
http://www.google.com/corporate/index.html

how do you make a zorb?

OK Its obvious that the chick misspelled google!!! ok we've established this already!!!! but anyways zorbing sounds interesting but i prolly wouldnt do it lol