Is there an English noun that means a woman who is old enough that doesn’t get menstruation anymore and therefore cannot be pregnant? I’m especially looking for an ordinary word, rather than any scientific’s. I can’t find such word, a noun, in any language (not even in my mother tongue) but in Arabic, that is, “Ya’ese.” Any help?

The Humor Fairy December 11, 2004, 10:40pm

there is no common word for it, except maybe old lady.

pjhajinian December 12, 2004, 12:48pm

The term you'd want to use is "postmenopausal woman".

It's a scientific term, but it's also used in everyday speech (if you're taking about that sort of thing), so people will understand. menopause refers to the end of menstration.

familyguy December 12, 2004, 3:07pm

My mom referred to menopause itself as "the change of life."

A non-medical phrase you can use is "she is past childbearing."

English doesn't have a simple word. "Crone" is used sometimes to refer to a postmenopausal woman, but has the connotation of old, or bent and shrunken, or even a witch.

speedwell2 December 12, 2004, 7:16pm

Oh, Habib, you're so witty. Can we stop it w/the ageist crap? Women can reach menopause at 40, & the average age is 51--hardly "old."

Johanna December 12, 2004, 9:27pm

the word is "menopause". or advanced menopause "geripause".

jay December 16, 2004, 9:35am

No, Jay. "Menopause" and "geripause" (I've never heard the second one) are not words for a woman past the "change of life." They're words for the "change" itself. You would never call a menopausal woman a "menopause."

speedwell2 December 16, 2004, 4:31pm