Submitted by julie on June 22, 2008

Pluralization of “Stachewicz”

So, for a last name like “Stachewicz”...would it be The Stachewiczs or the The Stachewiczes?

Whether the final "cz" is pronounced "ch" or "ts", they are both sibilants and thus should be followed by "-es".

It is definitly stachewiczes. It is pronounced stack-ho-vich.

I agree. This is a classic case of spelling it how you say it. I would sound the "e" vowel before the final "s", so go ahead and put it in!

I agree. More specifically, though, because of the all the consonants happening within close proximity when the name goes plural. It feels better on the tongue to slip in a bit of vowel. This of course is going more on instinct than anything.

Stachewicz looks to me like a Polish name and Polish cz corresponds to English ch as far as I know. ch is a sibilant and words ending in sibilants usually get the -es pluralization. So my vote goes with "Stachewiczes."