First annual vs. second annual

If the initial year an event is held it is called the inaugural, what is it called the next year? First annual or second annual? And why?

A possible confusion arises because the second time the event is held, it is the first time in a year. Suppose you organize an event at your neighborhood park. You have no intention of repeating it, but it turns out to be a huge success, and many people suggested that it should be done again. You then decide to do it every year. In this scenario, the first time it is done as an annual event is the second time. The original event had no concept of "annual" (could have turned out to be "semi-annual" or "monthly"). So, the answer isn't so clear-cut.

Dyske September 18, 2006 @ 12:03PM

Remember, even if you have every intention of hosting an event annually, you should never refer to the first such event as the "First Annual." Especially if you're sending a press release to a newspaper. I've been, and have known, editors who trashed away PR that used the term "First Annual."

jeffrey September 18, 2006 @ 2:19PM

It's the second annual event, because the counting going on in this case is counting the series and it would be the second in the series.

If you had a Masked Ball one year, the next would be the Second Masked Ball. Both 'green' and 'annual' are adjectives.

First Annual is sometimes rejected by newspaper editors because it's predictive and doesn't describe the present state of affairs which reporters should report. You could say 'first of a planned series of annual' but until the event has occurred twice it isn't actually being held annually.

Actually though, 'first annual' is more often rejected because it just sounds a bit odd.

andy September 19, 2006 @ 3:18AM

I checked a few dictionaries and they all say "...occurring once a year". They do not say "...will occur..." or "...have occurred...". I think this is actually quite significant. It means that "annual" describes a present, instantaneous state, not a future or past one. Now, at first glance, it might seem to be dependent on future or past events, but this is not really true. It is actually dependent on a rate of change, which is also an instantaneous, present condition. With this in mind, I believe that "first annual" is a perfectly valid label.

porsche September 19, 2006 @ 12:30PM

Here's the cite from the Associated Press Stylebook, which explains why -- whatever your personal opinion on this -- you should refrain from using "first annual" in any submission to a news organization:

"An event cannot be described as annual until it has been held in at least two successive years. Do not use the term first annual. Instead, note that sponsors plan to hold an event annually."

If you are having a private event, call it anything you wish. If you want publicity through media, call it "inaugural" in order to be taken seriously.

gus September 28, 2006 @ 9:22AM

so heres the thing, im at work rite now and this has become a heated debate. my feelings on this topic is first leads you to believe that theres more to come and annual leads you to believe its going to happen consistantly. so why cant it be the first event to be held consistently hence first annual

martin_perkins July 4, 2007 @ 8:59AM

Gee, Stacie, if the format has changed so much that it is a "faux pas" to use numbers (2nd annual, etc.), then I would think it's equally wrong to even call it annual. As a matter of fact, it would even be dishonest and disingenuous to use the same name for the event. There is no acceptable amount of difference that makes it OK to say annual, but just different enough to not say 2nd annual.

porsche August 19, 2007 @ 7:12AM

Ok So am I to understand that the 1st annual isnt actually the first time that the event is held but we are planning to hold it next year then is that event the 2nd annual or the 1st annual because it is the 1st time to repeat the event. Oh please send me some direction

weezie_58 January 17, 2008 @ 2:05PM

@Confused

The second instance of the event would be the 2nd annual. See Andy A's comment above.

The first one is your initial event.

geo.raynor February 10, 2008 @ 8:32PM

I'm not a journalist, but I think that words should communicate clearly what the writer means. To ME, when I see "First Annual," it says that the event is planned to be held every year and this is the first year that it is being held. "Second Annual" relays the same message, but it says that it is an annual affair and this is the second time that it is going to be held. I don't have to ask if the event will be held the next year, because "1st Annual" communicates the intent of the organizer/writer.

Life is already too complicated. Let's keep it simple. Everybody in the world understands the concept of "1st Annual."

If not journalist, then change it. Keep up with the world.

flanna May 19, 2008 @ 6:33AM

I look at this topic like I look at the turn of the century, even though it is 2008, we are now in the 21st century. Therefore, the fist time an event is held it is the inaugural, or the first time, the second time an event is held it is the 1st annual. Why does it matter if mentally it was thought to be a recurring event or not at the inception of that event? Not planning to have an event recur, is exactly how a lot of great events became recurring.

Math is important in speaking English. In regards to singular and plural, for example, how many times do you hear somebody say, "there's three." This means, "there is three", which is incorrect. "There are three" is correct.
So, it does matter from a historical point of view. If we never agree on 1st annual vs. 2nd annual, then we never really know how many years any important historical event has occurred. Just remember, it is all in the math.

Additionally, I think it is absurd that people shy away from speaking correctly, "because it just sounds a bit odd." Because I know the "Lie/Lay" rule, I use it. People who are ignorant of that rule tell me, "that just doesn't sound right", and they tell me that I shouldn't speak that way. Why? Because it makes them feel uncomfortable? I should just throw the rules of English away because other people are not willing to learn them? I think not!

tbracken July 4, 2008 @ 11:57AM

Inaugural is how you describe the first event, then the next year is the First Annual event because it's the first anniversary of doing whatever you're doing. It is confusing, though. Consider dropping "annual" or just use the year.

sportswriter June 17, 2009 @ 1:12PM

It strikes me that any editor who refuses to report perfectly good, unambiguous information just because of some (highly disputable) linguistic error in the way it was communicated, is behaving both incompetently and unethically. The editor may have to follow the AP Style Book, but that does not mean the whole world has to. There is no reason why anyone communicating with a newspaper should even be expected to know that such a book exists. The editor's job is to edit, which in this case includes changing the wording from "first annual" to "inaugural." Any editor who ignores a communication because he is too lazy to and arrogant to do his job deserves to be fired right away!

nigel June 21, 2009 @ 6:43AM

I liked Jim Van's idea...

Let's do the zeroth (0th) event. If we could either start counting the way we code, or start coding the way we count, it would make life a little easier. No more converting between the two...computer count zero is place one.

On a serious note related to this, I don't think either side on this arguement is going to relinquish their view and claim defeat.

By the way, kidding on the 0th! Also kidding about changing coding to start at 1! *Shudders at thought of changing all his 'i=0's to 'i=1's*

adminjohns June 30, 2009 @ 12:44PM

OK, this first Annual thing is bothering me. A group I am part of is starting up a festival that will be held every year. I planned to call it "first annual" but then my wife said that is wrong and it should be "inaugural". The logic of you can't have a first until you have had a second is just idiotic. Does this mean that every numbered list should have "inaugural" in place of "1"? First annual tells people that it will be held every year, and it is the first in the series. Inaugural tells me it is the first event , and that is it.

If I schedule a annual physical with a new doctor, is it my inaugural physical or first annual visit? Which one is more descriptive?

I am going to take my inaugural leak of the day, because I am just not sure if there will be a second......

scottviola March 15, 2010 @ 10:35PM

Ryan on June 17, 2009 said it best and correctly... at least as far as I know. I was hoping for solid proof from this discussion to show a friend. It doesn't look like I found it though. As I understand, the first event is the event's birth (when we are born we are 0, not one). So call the event inaugural or Party, etc. The next time you host the event, is the 1st annual (now you are 1 like your first birthday). Anyone out there an English teacher??

hkinder April 7, 2010 @ 9:10PM

Seems there are a lot of people here who had their first birthday the day they were born.

And whoever it was up there that said.... "what's the difference, most people understand.... " is wrong. Most people misunderstand. I suppose you'll carry on "irregardless" of what others think. Right?

It is the Inaugural event. A year from now, it can be an annual event.

JT

johnt November 19, 2010 @ 9:25PM

First off, journalistic guidelines and grammatical guidelines are two different things. Grammatically there is nothing wrong with saying "first annual event". People seem to confuse the adjective annual with the noun anniversary. Annual simply describes the rate at which something occurs. It does not require a starting or stopping point. It's a descriptive word like smelly, loud, or repetitive. Anniversary on the other hand DOES require a first instance in order for it to exist. Let's say you are planning a fun event. Does the event have to take place -first- in order for you to describe your planned event as fun? NO. The same holds true for annual. If you plan for your event to be annual, you are free to describe it as such, and if this is the first instance of this annual event, it makes perfect sense to call it First "Annual Event", just like you'd be free to describe your fun event as First "Fun Event".

I think the drama has come from the area of journalism where they refuse to acknowledge the -plans- of people, organizations, etc. on the grounds that they report what HAS happened, not what is hoped will happen in the future. While "first annual " is grammatically fine, from a journalistic standpoint it is not because in those two words you are making -assumptions- about what will happen. Assumptions don't fly in journalism, which is probably why First Annual has received such a bad rap. People, businesses, organizations, etc are all free to make assumptions (which "first annual so and so" is doing in a grammatically correct way) but journalists are not. Somehow these journalistic guidelines evolved into grammatically "fact".

travisgentry78 January 26, 2011 @ 5:40PM

Birthday is a noun and an event. Annual is an adjective and a descriptive word. They are not the same thing and your comparison is meaningless. You are grammatically incorrect in this case.

travisgentry78 January 26, 2011 @ 5:48PM

John, it just so happens that everyone does have their first (and only!) birthday on the day they were born. What we celebrate each year afterwards are birthday anniversaries. We calling them birthdays is just a shortened form. And Tan, I'm with you.

porsche January 28, 2011 @ 6:34PM

Oops, "We calling them birthdays is just a shortened form." should be just "Calling them birthdays is just using a shortened form"

porsche January 28, 2011 @ 6:36PM

Sheesh!

FYI April 14, 2011 @ 7:24AM

quite the debate...
The way I see it is this. The very first time of the event is held is not counted in the annual calculation. So, if you started in 2005, you don't count that as an annual event This way your 10th year would be 2015. Otherwise if you count 2005, your tenth anniversary year would techincally be 2014. And to me 10 years of an event should be 2005-2015 (not 2005-2014).

LKD April 14, 2011 @ 1:18PM

Even though technically 2015 is the 11th time the event has happened it would still be the 10th annual.

LKD April 14, 2011 @ 1:19PM

Please look up at Jules' post for clarity.

A First event happens first.

A Second event occurs second.

An Annual event is an event that occurs once a year.

An event OCCURRING once a year is not dependent on intention, but on occurrence.

An event can be a first annual event only upon reflection of its occurrence.

A second annual event is the first time an event has occurred two years in a row.

You cannot have a first annual event in the present or the future, unless you are a time traveling time traveler. Your intention to repeat the event does not make it annual as it has not yet OCCURRED for more than one year, regardless of intention.

This is really reeeeallly 10th grade stuff people.

Bob Bob April 16, 2011 @ 2:00PM

lmao! this argument has been going on from 2006-2011. I guess, this is the 6th annual discussion!!

Toy May 3, 2011 @ 10:27AM

So Bob Bob, by your logic, it is impossible to drive 55 miles per hour unless you drive at that speed for at least one hour, right?

porsche July 17, 2011 @ 6:42AM

Technically the 'first annual' is the second event. So 11 years would be ten annual events. Can't start on zero (same as the millenium, etc).

Frank Rizzo September 15, 2011 @ 2:32PM

Toy - it's the fifth annual discussion. You don't count the first year. Look at it this way - if I said See you next Monday and it's a Monday now, that's 8 days, not a week. If you're born January 1st then your next birthday is not a year - that would be December 31; it's 366 days. "A year ago today" is a misnomer - they incorrectly say 'a year' when in fact it's 366 days or even if it's ten years etc.

Same thing.

Frank Rizzo September 15, 2011 @ 2:34PM

LKD, 2005-2015 is eleven years if you are going to count the 2005 as one ie "first annual" event (wrongly, of course). If 2006 is the first annual (second event) then 2015 is the tenth annual.

Frank Rizzo September 15, 2011 @ 2:38PM

Think of birthdays...

Your 1st birthday celebration was the day you were born.
Your 1st annual birthday celebration is when you turn 1 year old.
Your 2nd annual birthday celebration is when you turn 2 years old.

Brent March 28, 2012 @ 8:20AM

I know this is an old topic, but one thing no one pointed out is that the ordinal (first, second) refers to the occurrence of the event, not the anniversary. In other words, the reference to "annual" means that it occurs every year. "2nd Annual" means the second occurrence of the event, which occurs annually. Grammatically, "second" and "annual" both modify the noun "event." Some people are mistakenly assuming that "second" modifies the adjective "annual," which is not correct.

There is a difference between the first event and the first anniversary of the event, which presumably would be when the second event would occur, and thereby be established as "annual" by virtue of an actual year passing between events. If you are having a First Annual Fundraising Banquet, you are just having a fundraising banquet. When you have the second banquet a year later, as planned, it becomes the 2nd annual banquet. The first event is the first occurrence, but it isn't annual until the second one occurs. The "annual" designation includes the first event, even though it isn't annual until the second. Therefore, the 50th Annual event is actually 49 years after the first event (1+49=50, imagine that!). The first event marks the BEGINNING of the first year, which doesn't become a year (or annual) until the year ends. The first Anniversary marks the END of the first year, which is when the second year begins and the second annual event occurs. Progressing, the 50th Anniversary marks the 51st annual event - the beginning of the 51st year. It's like our calendar, we don't start at zero, we start at one. If we start at one, then ten years later, it's the 11th annual event, which occurs on the 10th Anniversary. Not sure why people find it so confusing. It's really quite simple if you do the math!

And while it's true that technically anything happening once could be referred to as the first, the use of ordinals implies a series. In common usage, you do not use a numbered list (such as an outline) unless the "list" has more than one item. (a list, by definition, includes more than one item). In this context of sequence, there shouldn't be a first without a second. Obviously this doesn't apply to things like superlative records (the first person to achieve a milestone), but that is a different form of numerical usage. With scheduled events, "first" implies a "second," which might not ever happen. Inaugural is a good choice of words. "Premiere" means "first," so you wouldn't use that unless you would use First anyway.

The best way to avoid the conundrum, one way or the other, is to use the year: "The 2012 Fundraising Banquet." If you do it again the following year, you can call it "The 2013 Fundraising Banquet" or "The Second Annual Fundraising Banquet," take your pick! Or you could be like the NFL and use Roman Numerals, but that gets tiresome after you get past X.

BTW - Frank Rizzo's hypothesis that an anniversary is a year plus a day is incorrect. When you are counting the passing of days, you don't count the first day, because it isn't complete until the second day begins. It is one year from anniversary to anniversary. Assuming a normal calendar year, it is one day from January 1 to January 2. It is two days until the 3rd, etc. The anniversary marks the beginning of the 366th day, but 366 days haven't passed until the day is over (in other words midnight January 2), at which time, the Anniversary has passed, too!

Sorry for being so verbose - there was so much to respond to!

Rheneas September 12, 2012 @ 4:06PM

annual = the number of times an event has occurred, beginning with 2nd year.
anniversary = the number of completed years an event has occurred.

Cissy August 8, 2013 @ 1:40PM

Follow this format:

1st Event- Inaugural
2nd Year- Annual Event
3rd Year- 3rd Annual or Annual Event is acceptable

John Mak September 1, 2016 @ 3:08PM

If I am correct and an annual event requires 2 years prior to an event for it to be considered an annual event. Then isn't the term "second annual" incorrect as well? Actually it should be referred to as consecutive meaning second? Looking forward to feedback!

Burt January 19, 2017 @ 11:51PM

What happens if you skip a year?

Lisa at Gala Calendar March 25, 2017 @ 10:11AM

The eleventh year after the inaugural year..
is there a special adjective?

Kim Bridge April 26, 2017 @ 12:13PM

So when I am 1 on my first birthday I have lived 1 whole year and I am beginning my 2nd birthday on my 1st birthday......On my 80th birthday I have lived 80 years and I am beginning my 81st birthday on my 80th birthday. IS THIS CORRECT? ? ? ? ?

Miss Sally April 30, 2017 @ 10:55AM

What if a 3rd annual event is cancelled at the last moment, due to force majeure? Would the next year be the 4th annual event, since the 3rd annual was planned (all the work went into it, including programs and money spent, and some people even did make it before the hurricane hit and the city was evacuated). If an event is cancelled, do you count it...or skip it?

april1 May 30, 2017 @ 9:11PM