all

Dictionaries say that the word, all -among other functions- is an adjective. I seem not to understand this. I was taught that to make sure whether a word is adjective one can make a sentence with [the specific] noun + to be + [the specific] adjective. i.e. “blue sky”, “sky is blue.” This formula seems to function in all the adjectives except “all.” Can anyone explain why the English dictionaries call “all” an adjective? I have looked up many examples, but it didn’t help.

I'll merely point out that I agree with Craig's comment. That is all I wanted to say.

:)

speedwell2 January 2, 2005 @ 3:26PM

I think "all" is an adjective like numbers are adjectives--it quantifies. In the sentence, "I would like three red balloons," both "red" and "three" are adjectives. "I like all balloons," then, uses "all" as an adjective to describe which balloons the speaker likes. It should be the same thing with "few," "some," and other words that quantify.

aglassyday January 3, 2005 @ 11:21AM