BCC

I was curious what the BCC feature of e-mail stands for and just found out that it stands for “Blind Carbon Copy.” Now I have a new problem: does this term - blind carbon copy - exist in terms of paper letter? If yes, what is it?

Oh, it's a secretary question. Yippee :)

You would send "blind" carbon copies if you sent out copies of a letter to more than one recipient, but purposely omitted the cc: notation at the bottom. You might do this for a fundraising letter, for example, in which it would be inappropriate to reveal the list of people from whom you were soliciting donations. Another example might be if you were sending form letters of regret to the unsuccessful applicants for a position.

To me the real question is why we refer to "carbon" copies of "electronic" mail at all!

speedwell2 December 13, 2004 @ 9:20AM

This post has some good thoughts: http://www.painintheenglish.com/post.asp?id=58

I prefer "e-mail." "E-mail," with the capital E, would only be used if the word "electronic" would be capitalized in the sentence, and "email" is French for "enamel."

speedwell2 December 16, 2004 @ 4:34PM