00′s

I just wonder how can we name the decades of the 2nd millennium. i.e. we say “during 80′s”. How we say “during (20)10′s”? or “2020′s” etc.?

What are those "few examples" Adam?

goossun March 4, 2004 @ 4:00PM

'80s is correct. You don't write 80's because the 's is not an acceptable way to form the plural. You're abbreviating "eighties," not "eighty's."

speedwell2 April 7, 2004 @ 9:30AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/07/dining/07TABL.html

New York Times seems to consistently use "80's", apostrophe after the number, before the 's'.

Also, there is another thread for this discussion.

http://www.painintheenglish.com/post.asp?id=43

Dyske April 7, 2004 @ 9:39AM

I agree -- the more important thing to note here is the improper use of the apostrophe (yet again). You don't mean "80 is," and nothing belongs to 80. You are talking about a number of years. Years --> plural. Therefore, 80s is the proper way to say it, regardless of what the Times uses.

The same thing goes for CD's. That's wrong. Compact Discs CDs.

The poor apostrophe....people use it so often and without regard to its proper usage, it might as well be deemed the punctuation whore.

With each "Drive thru" and "OutKast" we have, the further English falls into the toilet. Why do people think it's cool to misspell things? Do they know it makes them look like an idiot?

(I don't mean that to you, goossun.)

cuz what would u think if i type'd everything like this?

drenglish May 16, 2004 @ 2:13AM

Becuase we were too busy answering the question to engage in vicious and unnecessary nitpicking.

speedwell2 June 10, 2004 @ 2:59PM

Dammit :) You can always tell it's me typing when I switch the vowels in "because."

speedwell2 June 10, 2004 @ 3:00PM

Hi.
According to the New York Times's book on Style & Usage, it is perfectly correct for the apostrophe's position there. The Oxford English Dictionary says the same, and they're the authority on all things English-language.
Although overall, I think the use of 1980s is preferable, just in occasions of clarity, 1980's can be used.
Out and over.

tommy August 16, 2004 @ 7:52PM

Oh, fer cryin' out loud...

Native English speakers are not born with the ever-glorious Chicago or New York style books in their tiny grip.

Those books are good for one thing and one thing only, and that is to chronicle what a given group of "experts" in two cities considered correct grammar and usage policy for the two newspapers of those cities at the time the books were written.

Such books are obsolete the moment they are published; however, they serve as useful guides to those who want some sort of objective reference.

My impression of why this site is in existence, however, is for non-fluent speakers to imitate and learn the style of fluent, indeed extremely fluent, speakers. I did not think the intent was to prescribe a certain baseline way of speaking (such a thing does not exist) or to endorse one industry-accepted book or other.

OK. Rant over :) Dyske, you may chastise me for my presumption if you wish...

speedwell2 August 16, 2004 @ 9:53PM