Submitted by goossun on July 23, 2004

Example

Can anyone give an example of verbal “charade” plesae?

in GAMES magazine, every issue has two wicked cryptic crosswords. One type of answer is called a charade - where the answer is broken into smaller words, which are clued individually.

For example, the clue "Auto animal" yields the answer CARPET.

Could this be a clue? Found this partial definition:

"charade : n 1: a composition that imitates somebody's style in a humorous way [syn: parody, lampoon, spoof, sendup, mockery, takeoff, burlesque, travesty, pasquinade, put-on]"

Could you expand a little on what you mean by "verbal charade"? Perhaps you could give us the context in which you've heard that phrase?

OK. Webster online says "A verbal or acted enigma based upon a word which has two or more significant syllables or parts, each of which, as well as the word itself, is to be guessed from the descriptions or representations."
So I did not have any example to see what it could really be like.
http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/ch...

In that case, I'm not sure. I've never known Charades as a game to be played in any other way than mime.

Although... from the Webster definition, I guess it could be something like this:

Website, four words:
First word - sheet of glass
Fourth word - name of a language

(Answer: Pain in the English)

Is that the kind of example you were looking for?

don't not get what your want me to do!!!!!!!

I get it now I think it means that its something you guess on and I have never answered a question like this before on the computer