Submitted by fangrl  •  November 20, 2003

Advanced vs. Advance

When I hear things like “advance care” or “Game Boy Advance” it always makes me cringe. Is this really correct? Shouldn’t it be “Advanced care”, because it connotates a superior level of, well, care?

Once again, Speedwell has said it all and said it succinctly.

In the case of the Game Boy, I have to put in my two cents worth.... Products are frequently named by sticking a cool-sounding word on them without any regard for rhyme, reason, or the long-suffering nerves of language vigilantes such as ourselves. :)

In other words, ignore it. They could have just as easily named it the Game Boy "Cool" or the Game Boy "Rush."

What really chaps my ass is the names car manufacturers use. Especially Toyota. What, in the name of all that's holy, is a "Camry?"

In the case of the GameBoy Advance you have to remember the name was thought up by the Japanese. It has the exact same name in Japan (well, in Katakana it's actually "Geemu Booi Adobansu", but I digress) so if there is any fault with the product name it's due to a lack of English understanding. I tend to wonder moreso why it's called a GameBoy? Then again, Walkman doesn't make that much sense...

"Advance Care" can be compared with "advance warning". "Advance warning" is equivalent to saying "warning in advance (of something)" or warning before something happens. In this way, "Advance Care" would be care before something (like an accident or health problem) happens. As an approximation, "advance" = "beforehand" or "ahead of the rest" (also compare "advance guard" and "rear guard"), whereas "advanced" = "on a higher level". Vis-a-vis GameBoy I agree with Michael. More than anything it's just a name, but there's probably a deeper psychology of marketing that dictates that "Advance" just sounds cooler than "Advanced".

But, "Game Boy Advanced" is a product designed by a company they could have called it "Bigigogo" or what ever they felt. Therefore, its hard to make this analogy

"Advance" is a number.

Yes, "advanced" would imply the first connotation you'd think. However, by using "Advance Care" for a system or program (although, admittedly, I usually hear it referenced as "advanced care"), it may be intrinsically promoting a motto with the order to 'advance care.'

Because "advance" is in its infinitive form of a verb (logically assuming the suggestions are not pairing two nouns, or the adjective that implies 'forward' or 'early' as in an "advance payment"), GameBoy Advance should be in the past tense.

However, I briefly return to 'advance' as the aforementioned adjective. In context of an "advance payment," the "Advance Care" works better, yet, yes.

I agree with you-- "Advanced", not "Advance."