When not to use an adjective and not 'of'

I have recently been seeing rejections of many phrases with ‘of’ in them because they are “less concise.” An example of this would be changing “All six of the men were considered dangerous” to “All six men were considered dangerous.” Recently, someone corrected a sentence I wrote and it just doesn’t sound right even though it may be concise. They changed “There are six species of snakes and four species of butterfly on the list” to “There are six snake species and four lizard species on the list.”

Bonus question: Is it “species of butterfly” or “species of butterflies”?

I note that in your example "four species of butterfly" is equivalent to "four lizard species". Lizards are of course know for their conciseness.

user108298 Oct-11-2019

1 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

n

user108298 Oct-11-2019

3 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

"Fit as a butchers dog" is an expression used to explain that an individual is very well physically. Even though the original translation was to explain that it meant well fed.
It has nothing to do with how attractive a person is. This expression is very old and calling someone "fit" for being beautiful is a fairly new addition to English slang.

ScratCat73 Oct-26-2019

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

I prefer your version. Yes, the form 'snake species' is used nowadays, even though 'snake' is not technically an adjective; but I try to avoid such a usage if there is an alternative.
I would say 'species of butterfly'. 'Butterfly' is being used as a general term.

Skeeter Lewis Nov-01-2019

1 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

Do you have a question? Submit your question here