Worst

Are the following sentences proper and correct?

“The weather is getting worst.” “The ten best clients and the ten worst clients.”

My wife insists that it should be worse and not worst.

Thanks.

Yes, the second "sentence" may be a fragment, but that isn't what Ted really wanted to know.

Ted, "worst" is the opposite of "best," so despite the fragmentary nature of your second example, the usage of "worst" is correct. They are both superlatives (think about other similar words that end in -est, such as "prettiest" and "highest").

But when describing something that has gotten more undesirable in some way, the correct word is "worse."

Examples:

"My son used to just steal beer from the refrigerator, but now he has become hooked on drugs. I have had the worst time dealing with him. He has gone from bad to worse."

"My boss insults customers, golfs on work time, and lies on his expense account. But worst of all, he cooks the books. I have never had a worse boss."

speedwell2 February 28, 2005 @ 8:00AM

It may help to experimentally substitute "better" and "best" into the sentence to see which makes more sense. If "better" sounds better, then you would use "worse;" if "best" sounds like the right fit, then use "worst."

speedwell2 February 28, 2005 @ 8:25AM

I have a question. Now if I were to refer to an evil world leader, more specifically the most evil, would I say the 'best' evil leader or would it be the 'worst' evil leader?

blaine243 November 5, 2006 @ 4:02PM