washeteria

Hi guys! I’ve just dug up 3 new lingual curiosities: ‘washeteria’, ‘yogurgitation’ and ‘in-a-gadda-da-meeting’. How do you like them? ‘washeteria’ sounds to me like a Spanish word ‘cafeteria’ so it probably means a place where you take a shower; ‘yogurgitation’ is nicely connected with ‘yoghurt’ but it suggests throwing it up; the third word refers to a meeting, which could have been done in half of the time it actually took. However its spelling seems to me a little bit exotic. Can you help with the explanation?

Marta, a "washeteria" is a self-service laundry, also known as a "laundromat." You may also find it as "washateria." You'll especially find it in blighted neighborhoods full of people who are forced to give getting food and shelter and avoiding the local police a much higher priority than they give speaking proper English.

I suppose your guess about the second word, which I refuse to touch with a ten-foot cattle prod, is as good as mine.

"In-a-gadda-da-vida" is a song from the psychedelic era, sung by the charmingly named Iron Butterfly, in a voice resembling that of a zombie with the stomach flu. Your source was evidently trying very hard to be bright, witty, and hip, and failing pathetically.

No offense, but all three words are... miserable. Skanky. Odious. Better left for dead.

speedwell2 September 3, 2004 @ 2:23PM

Upon further reflection (that means, "after Speed reached deep into her dusty unkempt cairn of a memory"), I think I see what the individual meant about "in-a-gadda-da-meeting."

Apparently the Iron Butterfly song, as heavy and ugly as it was, was so long it took up literally one entire side of an album. I don't remember how long that came to (anyone remember?), but it would have been the length of six to ten regular songs.

speedwell2 September 3, 2004 @ 2:31PM

(Speedwell, the Texan, who thinks of anything north of the Mason-Dixon Line as "North," and who barely remenbers snow, wonders briefly what planet Alaska is in.)

speedwell2 October 4, 2004 @ 8:30AM