perpetrating or perpetuating?

The Boston Globe today ran an op-ed with the headline “Perpetrating the Autism Myth.” But on the homepage, they referred to the op-ed with a link that said “TV shows perpetuate the autism myth.” What is the difference between perpetrate and perpetuate as they are used here?

Thanks, John & Subtle Knife.

I also had a feeling that it was a play on words, given the context of the article, as my initial instinct was that it should be perpetuate and not perpetrate.

But my confusion arose when, just for fun, I Googled the expressions "perpetrate a myth" and "perpetrate a hoax" and they are quite widely used. Is it people misunderstanding the definition of perpetrate -- "to commit" -- and applying it to myth as they would to crime, as in "perpetrate the crime"? Or just using the words interchangeably?

mightyredpen February 1, 2008 @ 10:17AM

It's a typo or a good old-fashioned spelling mistake.

JJMBallantyne March 11, 2008 @ 4:29PM