114

I just wonder how does one say this phrase: “Let me know the 411″. Do we say “Let me know the four-one-one” or “Let me know the four-hundred-eleven” or what? Note: I know that 411 is information number, just don’t know how one says it.

Since it's a telephone number, you say it by "spelling out" the digits. If I was telling you my area code (Houston, TX, 713), I'd say "seven one three." 411 would be pronounced (and is pronounced) "four one one."

speedwell2 April 19, 2004 @ 9:24AM

Just by contrast, some cases in which you MIGHT hear "four eleven:"

- Apartment #411
- April 11 (4/11)
- Code 411 (spoken by a police officer, perhaps)
- 411 as a sequential number (i.e. check number 411)
- 411th St. (if there is such a thing) might be pronounced locally as "Four Eleventh Street" by analogy with "Eleventh Street"

The proper way to pronounce the counting number 411 is "four hundred eleven," of course, rather than "four hundred AND eleven."

speedwell2 April 19, 2004 @ 9:30AM

Hi speedwell
Do you also say "Let me know the 411" in your erea or it's just NY slang? I got that in an e-mail from a guy who's originally from San Francisco but lives in NYC.
By the way, may I ask you to email me please? It's still about the English but a personal matter.
goossun@yahoo.com

goossun April 19, 2004 @ 9:35AM

It's American slang, but I think it started with the generation younger than mine. Will do on the e-mail.

speedwell2 April 19, 2004 @ 10:33AM

I think it's four-one-one. I'm from the Bay area [[ San Fran-ish ]] and I never thought it was any sort of lingo... but yeh, I've heard it been said before the internet rage, so I'm not quite sure where it originated.

mumulovesyou April 22, 2004 @ 11:17PM

Joe, it's the United States standard phone number you dial to reach Information. 411 = Information. Get it?

speedwell2 April 23, 2004 @ 8:13AM