Advanced vs. Advance

When I hear things like “advance care” or “Game Boy Advance” it always makes me cringe. Is this really correct? Shouldn’t it be “Advanced care”, because it connotates a superior level of, well, care?

• November 20, 2003
  • Posted by fangrl
  • Filed in Usage
  • 1 comment

In the case of the Game Boy, I have to put in my two cents worth.... Products are frequently named by sticking a cool-sounding word on them without any regard for rhyme, reason, or the long-suffering nerves of language vigilantes such as ourselves. :)

In other words, ignore it. They could have just as easily named it the Game Boy "Cool" or the Game Boy "Rush."

What really chaps my ass is the names car manufacturers use. Especially Toyota. What, in the name of all that's holy, is a "Camry?"

speedwell2 April 7, 2004 @ 9:38AM