age vs. aged

Is there a preference of any sort? As in “John Smith, aged 45, was awarded the city’s highest honor at a luncheon . . . ” or “John Smith, age 45, was awarded the city’s highest honor at a luncheon . . .”

• October 27, 2003
  • Posted by jude
  • Filed in Usage
  • 5 comments

it may just be me...but i think the first one is correct...hey...don't blame me for being picky...ur asked....(^o^)/

diink05 November 6, 2003 @ 12:41PM

We wouldn't say, "that house is color green", so why would we say "that boy is age 10"? Aged is correct.

masonedy August 6, 2010 @ 2:23PM

Either is acceptable; you'll find that 'aged' is more popular in the UK. 'Age' implies, "this person is age____," while 'aged' implies "this person has lived _____years." Basically the same thing. I prefer 'aged' because I'm pretentious like that. Go with your gut. I mean, who gives a rat's, right? Same ish.

Allie December 6, 2012 @ 9:52AM

Which is correct? aged 45 years or over OR aged 45 years or more

Linda Westhar November 23, 2015 @ 1:58PM

One of these areas included young adults and middle aged adults.

Angelica Diaz Martinez May 25, 2016 @ 8:45PM