Your Pain Is Our Pleasure

Pain in the English offers proofreading services for short-form writing such as press releases, job applications, or marketing copy. 24 hour turnaround. Learn More

Lexical Hermaphrodites

In linguistics, is there a term that refers to words (like “format”) that can function as either verb or noun?

  • August 30, 2006
  • Posted by gabe
  • Filed in Grammar

Submit Your Comment



Sort by  OldestLatestRating

Not sure if there is such a term for those words, but this process is called coversion, when a noun and a verb have the same morphological material ( = look the same), supposedly, a linguist would call them just " lexemes" :]

marta August 31, 2006, 7:30am

0 vote    Permalink    Report Abuse


marta August 31, 2006, 7:31am

0 vote    Permalink    Report Abuse

They're also known as "zero derivations."

Ian October 30, 2006, 12:57am

0 vote    Permalink    Report Abuse

Sorry I don't have much to add, but my curiosity is piqued: I know that English loves to do this but is this process common in other languages as well? Does anyone know of examples? Thanks.

AO December 7, 2006, 11:56pm

0 vote    Permalink    Report Abuse

Yes     No