"how I am delighted" vs. "how delighted I am"

1.  You don’t know how I am delighted to have you as a friend

2.  You don’t know how delighted I am to have you as a friend.

3. I hope one day I can do something for you to show you how you are lovable in my heart and mind.

4. I hope one day I can do something for you to show you how loved you are in my heart and mind.

Sentences 2 and 4 are correct; sentences 1 and 3 are not.  Please could you explain why?  Thank you.

I don't think 1 and 3 are wrong, but they mean different things.

1. would mean that you don't know in what way I'm delighted. I could be delighted like Charlie Chaplin might be (exaggerated), or Humphrey Bogart might be (reserved).

2. would mean you don't know the degree to which I'm delighted.

Dyske Feb-07-2020

9 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

hi

Jack Larson Mar-18-2020

1 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

4 is equivalent to: "...how loved you are in my heart, and how loved you are in my mind". This is likely your intended meaning.

3, however, uses "lovable" which means "deserving of love". Difference:
"you are loved (by me)" = I love you.
"you are lovable" = you are endearing to people. This does not use an object phrase such as "by me". It is a trait.

hbxword Apr-29-2020

4 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

☎+1-657-529-2372 Buy verified PMP certificate in Iraq

user108984 Jul-02-2020

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

1. I think you should use the phrase how I am delighted to mean an ongoing situation. So if I say, you don't know how I am delighted to have you as a friend, you are really talking about an ongoing feeling of delight that you have. It's like everyday you wake up and think wow that friendship just delights the heck out of me. It would seem a little bit much to say this and might not be received as a genuine sentiment by the average English speaker.

2. I think this phrase, you don't know how delighted I am to have you as a friend, is a nice thing to say to someone that you don't hang around a lot but that you feel close to. It will seem genuine in that context because you're expressing that feeling of friendship that you have at that moment. This is in contrast to the first example above.

3. To say how you are lovable in my heart is a very odd way to phrase a feeling and I would agree with others who say it's not accurate. You mean to say how loved the person is in your heart. If they are simply lovable you are not saying that you love them. You are saying they have qualities that someone who knows them will love them.

4. I like this sentiment and would only suggest that you don't say heart and mind. We generally don't think about loving someone in our mind. One improvement I might suggest is to add the filler word soul. There really is no difference between the heart and the soul, but it sounds so sweet if you say, I love you in my heart and soul.

Good luck with it!

kellyjohnj Oct-23-2020

2 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

Hi how are you

user109304 Nov-11-2020

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

Thank you for your explanation, I can never understand the difference between some expressions, that`s why my texts always look awful. When I need to write some paper, I always apply for help to the services which I found on https://www.writingjudge.com/ The reviews on this site are very detailed and rather helpful.

RachaelOsborne Feb-22-2021

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

Do you have a question? Submit your question here