Uncountable nouns

Which one is correct? 1. Honey and milk are my favorite. or 2. Honey and milk is my favorite. My answer is number 1, but my friend said no.2 because both nouns are uncountable.

If honey is mixed with milk to make a sweet drink, then that drink, honey and milk, IS your favorite drink. If you mean you like to drink milk (by itself) and honey (by itself, bleechh), then honey and milk are your favoriteS or favorite drinks.

Janet1 November 8, 2005 @ 8:53AM

I agree. It all depends on the context. If mixed, then use the singular verb to describe how you feel about the singular drink. If separate, use the plural verb to describe how you feel about the different entities.

Melissa3 November 8, 2005 @ 11:21AM

the first one is incorrect altogether
i agree with the 2 comments, but in order for the first one to be correct, it would have to say "honey and milk are my favorites" since it would have to refer to honey and milk as 2 seperates drinks to be valid

pinto November 8, 2005 @ 11:24PM

Thanks Pinto, I missed the S in favoriteS.

mariskova1 November 9, 2005 @ 12:52AM

go the "are"
it sounds right

selfish November 24, 2005 @ 6:29AM

Your friend is wrong.

I mostly agree with these comments, but I should caution that the distinction between favorite as an adjective and favorite as a noun should be clarified. I believe you can say "of all of the wines in Napa, these are my favorite." Likewise, you could have:

a: Which additives do you prefer for your tea?
b: Honey and milk are my favorite.

It all depends on context. But mostly would would want the noun form, which would be pluralized: "honey and milk are my favorites".

Jun-Dai November 29, 2005 @ 5:51PM

Answer: Honey and milk are my favourites.

Eric_from_Australia December 2, 2005 @ 12:17PM