Wanna know what it coulda be...

Does anybody know what’s the lingustic term for the words like “wanna”, “gonna”, “outta”, “kinda” etc? Once I heard them being termed as “clitics” but I’m not sure if this term is really used in linguistic circles. So far I’ve come across the words like: gonna, wanna, outta, gotta, hefta (for “have to”), coulda, woulda, shoulda, needa, lotsa (”lot of”), kinda (”kind of”), betcha (”I bet you...”), gotcha (”got you”), supposta (”supposed to”) and also cuppa :) Any other ideas?

• October 3, 2005
  • Posted by marta
  • Filed in Misc
  • 6 comments

gon·na ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gn)
Informal
Contraction of going to: We're gonna win today.

i copied that definition from www.dictionary.com. apparently, words don't need apostrophes to officially be called contractions. still, they are informal.

cedric91709 October 7, 2005 @ 11:52AM

While very similar, these are not clitics. Clitics are words that can only be used in conjunction with other words.
the word 'em, as in I can see 'em now. or in French, the article l' as in l'amour. clitics are always used in combination with other words, but technically they are separate individual words.

porsche October 21, 2005 @ 12:29AM

Yes, fowlerfan, I stand corrected. In any case, I think you would agree though, coulda is not a clitic, just the -a is the clitic.

porsche October 26, 2005 @ 2:33PM

It is colloquial I believe

sexton.corey January 31, 2008 @ 9:16AM

Wow!

Over two years since this thread got started again.

No matter.

Yes, words like "coulda" and "wanna" are contractions. Yes, they involve clitics.

Ultimately though, I'd suggest the correct linguistic term for these words is - "word."

JJMBallantyne April 5, 2008 @ 8:31AM

WOW...I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT CLITIC.
I JUST REMEMBER THAT I'M THE STUDENT WHO TRY TO LOOKING FOR THE TRUTH...
OK...MAYBE SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME TO EXPLAIN ABOUT THAT. WHIT THE EXAMPLE WILL BE BETTER.

IHWANPRADIPTA December 17, 2008 @ 12:04AM