Idea Vs. Ideal

Why do people say they have an Ideal instead of an Idea, which is correct?

• September 28, 2005
  • Posted by joe2
  • Filed in Usage
  • 5 comments

People say ideal instead of idea in bristol, I've heard up to 5 people say it now, glad someone else brought it up because I though I was losing my marbles!lol

Steven james Dec-05-2013

2 votes   Permalink   Report Abuse

I believe it is easier to say ideal vs. idea, it rolls off the tongue better! In addition, the meanings seem to be like splitting hairs. I have a great idea or I have a great ideal, what's the big difference? There is none.

R.Hughes Nov-13-2016

1 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

I think that using ideal when idea should be the correct word is a silly way to speak. I hear ideal used incorrectly all the time, it really gets on my nerves. Oh well...

FrankR Feb-14-2017

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

"I have an idea."
"This is an ideal situation."

jenny1 Sep-23-2017

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

It drives me crazy when people use "ideal" in place of "idea". I want to shake them and say No! It's idea! But I'm kind of a grammar police anyway. My pet peeve is when people do not use the proper They're, their and there in sentences, it is very prevalent in social media. I just want to give grammar lessons but know I'll come off sounding like a snob.

Patricia Pilioglos Mar-27-2018

0 vote   Permalink   Report Abuse

Do you have a question? Submit your question here