The double “to”

It comes up every now and then and really looks crazy if you dont work around it in some way.

“Home Depot is the store I go to to buy screws”

Is that sentence just completely wrong or completely normal and just looks funny?

• September 24, 2005
  • Posted by joe
  • Filed in Grammar
  • 1 comment

Edward, Jamaal, David, you have all hit on one of my pet peeves. You are all incorrect. Ending a sentence with a preposition is completely 100% grammatically correct. Every single grammar book in America (and the UK) says so. It may be considered a weaker form, but it is not ungrammatical. In modern English, "...the store to which I go..." is certainly correct (notice I did not say "more" correct), but is also considered somewhat stilted and overly formal, especially in spoken English.

porsche October 26, 2005 @ 4:48PM