Mileage for kilometers

Can you help me find the best word that covers the same concept as ‘mileage’ but for kilometers:

mileage (mileages) 1. Mileage refers to the distance that you have traveled, measured in miles. Most of their mileage is in and around town. N-UNCOUNT: also N in pl

Are such neologisms as ‘kilometerage’ or ‘kilometrage’ used in English?

I want to refer to the distance (measured in km) travelled by any means of transport.

ivaylotivanov July 22, 2005 @ 10:27AM

Well I need "mileage" for a rental contract meaning the mileage on the car when it is received, and I don't think any of the above suggestions cater for this eventuality... Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I found the word "odometer" to use instead of milometer (the device that counts kilometers/miles driven), but I've never heard this word before, has anyone else?
Thank you in advance for any help...

Lyn June 6, 2013 @ 8:06AM

Kilometrage

Rosana June 6, 2013 @ 3:47PM

Except kilometrage doesn't seem to be in most dictionaries. Europcar, one of the biggest car rental companies serving European and international markets, uses mileage (71 references on their site). There is one for kilométrage, but it's in a French-language page.

On the other hand, there is a reference on the website of the government of Nova Scotia to "Kilometrage Rates, Monthly Allowances and Transportation Allowances Regulations", so maybe Canada is an exception.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/regulations/regs/cskilometrage.htm

Warsaw Will June 6, 2013 @ 4:27PM

We use kilometres here in NZ, but people still talk about mileage, just like mara said they do in Canada.
"What's the mileage on that car?"
"Eighty thousand kays."

People also say things like "it's done a lot of kays" but I've never heard (or seen) kilometrage. It's just not a pleasant word to say. For all the advantages of the metric system, I'd say its biggest shortcoming is linguistic: the imperial measurements are nicer and more convenient to talk or write about.

As for fuel economy, the metric equivalent of "miles per gallon" tends to be "litres per 100 km", in NZ at least. That feels weird because it's the inverse, i.e. a low number is good.

chrisbolton20 June 8, 2013 @ 6:19PM

mileage, has at least 5 different definitions that I know of, however for the translation of the definition provided above, use, 'klicks' or 'kilometrage'. The later you can find in a french dictionary but not an english one, and is not widely used, likely because it is too had to say. The word, mileage, is still used in metric countries to denote distance and often people will respond 300k and make the assumption that you understood 300,000 km. The definition (variant) of the word very clearly means distance in miles and so the meaning has developed ambiguity in metric countries (because many metric countries converted from imperial to metric in the 70s), and an older person or a "smart ass" might assume miles. Thus to remove ambiguity, klick (or less favourably klik) should be used. You can find this word in both oxford and webster.

I speculate that the reason why there is no english word is because oxford (British) and webster (American) are the 2 prevailing authorities for the english language and neither of these countries use kilometres as their base unit of measurements. In Canada, the Quebec province explicitly has a linguistic department to create french words (in particular english equivalents), however there is not an linguistic department for english.

david4 June 22, 2017 @ 5:42PM