Capitalization...?

Is there a set rule to capitalizing certain words in any given title (such as a book)? For example:

“The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe”

In that title, one doesn’t capitalize ‘the’ or ‘and’ (not counting the first). Which words should you NOT capitalize in a title? I once asked my English teacher, and she told me to capitalize the “little” words. o__o Can someone clarify that for me...?

For instance, a song:

“Here With You”

Would ‘with’ be capitalized or not? I consider that to be a relatively ‘small’ word...

• July 20, 2005
  • Posted by rin
  • Filed in Misc
  • 4 comments

I'm sure we've discussed this before. If a word is a preposition, it is not capitalized, e.g. Here with You. A preposition is usually a small word that prefaces a noun and locates it spatially, temporally or logically, e.g. of, to, in, on, out, with, over etc.

dave July 20, 2005 @ 1:02PM

I don't know why, but song titles capitalize differently from book titles.

Song titles capitalize everything:
"My House By The Sea"

Book titles don't capitalize small words that don't convey the idea of the title:
"My House by the Sea"
i.e. articles, prepositions, anything not a subject, verb, object, adjective, etc.

Maybe it was too much for the music business to handle....

tamouzrocks August 23, 2005 @ 1:20PM

Why do movie titles always capitalize? For instance a movie would be titled, "Here With You".

webmsater September 23, 2005 @ 9:59PM

Capitalization in Eglish Courses

coolladypat September 26, 2006 @ 6:31PM