Using plural in the title

I’m still undecided on how to spell correctly: “Drum Track Recording Service” or “Drum Tracks Recording Service”. I’m personally voting for the second variant, but as I’m not a native English speaker, I’m not sure.

In Drum Track Recording Service, "drum track" is an adjectival phrase. When nouns are used as adjectives, alone or in a phrase, it is normal for them to be singular, not plural. A doctor for horses is a horse doctor, not a horses doctor. You trim your hedges with a hedge trimmer, not a hedges trimmer. A service that assembles printed circuit boards is a printed circuit board assembly service, not a printed circuit boards assembly service. It doesn't matter how many horses, hedges, or ciruit boards are in question.

porsche February 11, 2009 @ 9:43PM

Also, if drum tracks is always plural, i.e., you always record two or more, that doesn't matter. It still is singular. Someone who rotates your tires is a tire rotator. The act is tire rotation, not tires rotation. It's impossible to rotate just one tire, but still it's singular. Of course, I'm referring to the act of switching the locations of the tires on your car, not just spinning them around in place.

porsche February 12, 2009 @ 9:35AM

A friend of mine and i have been having a bit of a dispute about the proper usage of certain titles. If someone is refering to multiple computers, and the computer is a "Pentium II" i feel that you would refer to them as "Pentium IIs"......as in "Could you please move these Pentium II's to the other end of the room" he feels that it would be refered to as "Pentiums II" "Could you please move these Pentiums II to the other end of the room." Another example of this would be, 2 people working at blockbuster.....and one asks the other to move 10 copies of the movie saw IV to the other end of the store. My friend would argue that it would be proper to say "Could you please move the (saws IV) to the other end of the room".....i would say "could you please move the saw IVs to the other end of the room." this is absoultley killing me because i have no way of demonstrating that he is wrong and if i am wrong id like to be put down more expertly so that i stop freaking out about him correcting me.

mach309 May 29, 2009 @ 10:35PM