See you laters???

Hello everybody there! A few days ago a friend of mine asked me a question like this: ‘is it possible to say in English ‘’See you laters'’ with the ‘s’ attached to ‘later’ ‘? She claimed she had heard it from an English native. As a humble non-native speaker of English, I was a bit puzzled and found no answer. And how do YOU feel about this?

Yeah, I've heard it... it is not standard. You would only use it informally, to people you were friendly with. It's considered "cute" and somewhat affected.

speedwell2 November 16, 2004 @ 8:21AM

Sully, I think you just gave me my new sig line! :) (Thanks for the compliment... I think it's a compliment... I will assume it's a compliment...)

speedwell2 December 6, 2004 @ 8:04AM

Interesting. I've never heard "laters", although I guess I did see "Bend It Like Beckham" so I must have just forgotten. In any event, here in the good old US of A, we have a much more logical phrase "see youse later", where "youse" of course is the plural of "you". Obviously if you are not of Italian descent you wouldn't use the phrase and if you live in the South you would use "y'all" instead but these are minor technical issues that should not stand in our way as we enjoy the wondrous intricacies of our language.

joachim2 December 14, 2004 @ 5:46PM

It sounds mexican and digusting. Just speak english right!

Batman May 13, 2012 @ 9:11PM

In the book "Fifty Shades of Grey", Christian says "laters baby". So f-ing annoying if you ask me. The S is completely unnecessary. The term "later" is slang enough on its own.

Kelsey June 22, 2012 @ 6:16AM

I agree about laters in the novel fifty shades! It makes people sound like they are 12! That is the one thing in that book that is sooo not sexy!

Syoung July 31, 2012 @ 10:17PM