Emotionality

Some people say “emotionality” is not a word. It is in Webster. What is the difference between emotion and emotionality? What is my emotion? And, what is my emotionality?

• November 21, 2002
  • Posted by Dyske
  • Filed in Usage
  • 2 comments

Both emotionality and emotion are nouns. But emotionality is concerns with representing the nature of someone or something's "emotion". For example, if I were to say "Dyske is a very sensitive person. Sometimes he can't control his emotions." You could respond by saying, "I can't explain why I am like that, it is just my emotionality." I soppose both words could be used interchangeably, but most people use emotion because the latter is rather redundant.

purpledragon_13 November 23, 2002 @ 2:30AM

Off hand I can only think of the word "reality" ás not following this rule. Others would likely also be short.

Greg W March 31, 2016 @ 10:35AM