Spelling with mixed cases

I recently gave a class of six year olds a spelling test and saw that many of the children were spelling words with the correct letters but had used capital letters at the beginning, middle or end of a word. Is a word that has the correct letters but some of them are in capitals still considered to be correctly spelled?

In a spelling bee, there is no capitalization or lack thereof. Does that mean that it's impossible to spell a word orally? of course not!

porsche March 28, 2008 @ 6:40AM

While I didn't exactly do an exhaustive study, I believe that grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are separate and independent conventions of English usage. Thus, a word that is capitalized incorrectly is not spelled incorrectly (and incorrect spelling does not constitute bad grammar, etc.). Now, incorrect capitalization is still wrong, it just isn't misspelling.

porsche March 31, 2008 @ 11:22AM

I don't agree with the notion of "half-marking." I believe that assessment, authentic assessment anyway, should focus on the instructional criteria. If your lesson didn't have a component that dealt with capitalization, specifically, then you should focus on spelling only.
I agree fully with those previous postings in that spelling and capitalization are two completely different aspects of usage. Susan, if you don't believe that a word associated with improper capitalization is spelled correctly, you should invest in a good dictionary.

smith529 April 4, 2008 @ 12:27PM

"I recently gave a class of six year olds a spelling test and saw that many of the children were spelling words with the correct letters but had used capital letters at the beginning, middle or end of a word."

Bless their little hearts for demonstrating some spontaneous creativity and fun.

Don't worry, a few more years of school and they'll have that knocked out them.

Then they'll be just as correct, boring and tedious as the rest of us.

JJMBallantyne April 5, 2008 @ 1:15PM

The style of writing is very familiar . Did you write guest posts for other blogs?
p.s. Year One is already on the Internet and you can watch it for free.

cojusib2ojepi June 20, 2009 @ 3:48PM

You people are a sorry bunch! We're talking about a class of 6 year olds who have just learned to write. Get over yourselves, and get a life.

Ah yes, heaven forfend that a teacher should actually make an effort to find out do her job better, or that anyone else should try to help. Why, the next thing you know, kids might actually be learning things in school!

nigel June 21, 2009 @ 7:09AM

In talking with my daughter who was studying Japanese, I learned that the English language has four alphabets. I was telling her how confusing I found the three alphabets in Japanese when she hit me with that. Of course, I demanded an explanation. She pointed out that there was lower case printed, upper case printed, lower case script, upper case script. There are unique letters in each. Wow! She's right. I have heard, btw, that script is not being emphasized so much any more because of computers. Everyone needs to know the printed alphabets, but not so much the script.

nellirene June 21, 2009 @ 10:38AM