Pawshop

Why is pawshop called pawshop?

Sorry, it was stupid of me to spell pawNshop, pawnshop three times. Nevertheless, I still wonder, is a pawnshop TODAY a place to pawn something for money? Or it became generalized to some sort of shops.

goossun July 8, 2004 @ 1:55PM

Yes, a pawnshop is a commercial establishment where you can get a bit of cash quick by pledging something portable as a security; it's a place where you can get this kind of quick loan really. If you don't pay back in time, you forefeit the piece and the pawnbroker will sell it to recuperate the loss. It is also known as "lombard" or "lombard-house".

no August 6, 2004 @ 8:35AM

I just did not know that this kinda trade still exists. I guess I'm being too inosent!

goossun August 6, 2004 @ 8:43AM

There aren't many left, and those few that remain are usually located in rather run-down neighborhoods (well, unsurprisingly, if you think what their business is.) You won't find any at an upscale locale.

no August 6, 2004 @ 12:56PM