Impose someone to do something

I read this sentence and I felt kind of weird about it:

The suppliers imposed us to absorb price increase.

I won’t say that it’s wrong to use IMPOSE in that sentence, neither that ABSORB cannot be used like that, but wouldn’t it sound better, and maybe even clearer to use one of the following alternatives? 1. The suppliers forced us to accept price increase. 2. The suppliers made us accept price increase. 3. The suppliers left us no choice but to accept price increase. 4. The suppliers left us no choice but to deal with price increase. 5. The suppliers imposed price increase on us and we were forced to accept it. 6. The suppliers imposed price increase on us and we were forced to deal with it. 7. The suppliers imposed price increase on us and we could do nothing about it.

Any opinion appreciated...

Either THE SUPPLIERS FORCED US TO ACCEPT A PRICE INCREASE or THE SUPPLIERS FORCED US TO ACCEPT PRICE INCREASES.

MADE US ACCEPT is equally good.

IMPOSED US is ungrammatical, and ABSORB is very ambiguous!

dave July 3, 2007 @ 3:17PM

Andrea is on the right track. There's nothing wrong with using the word "impose" in this context. The surrounding grammar is incorrect though. When uninvited (and unwelcome) guests drop by, they are imposing on you. I think a similar meaning applies in your example. Someone or something can "impose" something "on" someone or something: "The governement imposes income taxes on the working populace" or "The British crown imposed a tariff on tea". There would be nothing wrong with slightly modifying your example as follows: "The suppliers imposed on us to absorb a price increase." I really don't see how "absorb" would be at all ambiguous. What else can it mean other than, your supplier expects you to just buck up and accept a price increase with no change in the terms of your previous agreement and no increase in value or service? As Jessica said, companies are often forced to accept price increases from their suppliers without raising their prices, but the supplier has nothing to do with permitting them to raise prices or not. It's the customers and the end market that determines that. The supplier couldn't care less what the company charges its customers, unless, of course the company stops buying from the supplier because the company is no longer competitive. This may (or may not) make the sentence incongruous, but not ungrammatical.

porsche July 5, 2007 @ 2:44PM

Now you have supplied the whole sentence, it is much clearer what you meant by ABSORB.

dave July 6, 2007 @ 4:30AM

@UIP:

I believe it when you say that there is such a thing as imposing a person on another person but an example that comes to my mind is if someone imposes a person on you who you don't relate to and/or don't get along with, it could mean that that individual(s) is or is attempting to make you befriend or socialize and/or be "exceptionally" nice to the person who you don't relate to and/or don't get along with even though you may refuse to befriend or socialize and/or be "exceptionally" nice to that particular person.

Nadeem Athar October 2, 2011 @ 1:21PM

I think you could say something like, "The supplier was forced to impose upon us a price increase."

Gramatically this is correct but it reads like garbage.

Raph November 17, 2011 @ 1:09PM