I seek a word that means “more than daily.”

The closest word I can think of is “semi-daily,” but that is too specific. I’d prefer to describe, using a single word, the frequency of a particular event that happens more than once per day, although the number times is not significant and is not always the same.

If this is a rare opportunity for someone to make up a word, I welcome a suitable word from someone who is more qualified than I to create such a word.

Any ideas?

• May 30, 2007
  • Posted by juttin
  • Filed in Misc
  • 10 comments

Hourishly?

porsche May 31, 2007 @ 4:27AM

At first, I was going to suggest 'multi-daily', but that might imply an indeterminate time less often than once per day, not more often (i.e., multiple days between occurrences). Then I thought, we need a prefix that means fractionally less than one, but is indeterminate. How about 'part-', as in 'part-time'? What do you think of 'part-daily'?

porsche June 4, 2007 @ 1:15PM

How about dailish?

amazed June 6, 2007 @ 11:45AM

AO, that's why I suggested part-daily. By analogy, Bi-weekly can mean either every other week, or twice per week, but semi-weekly unambiguously means twice per week. Thus, semi-daily would only mean twice per day, and part-daily, the unambiguous indeterminate version. By the way, while I don't have any particular support for this, I suspect that since semi-weekly can only mean twice per week, bi-weekly probably originally meant every other week only. The opposite definition probably came about later, first as a mis-use, then later becoming accepted. Note, the dictionary does list every other week first, which might suggest that it is the preferred definition.

porsche June 22, 2007 @ 2:19PM

Good point about semi- . I was originally going to just suggest semi-daily, on the notion that semi can mean a fraction, not necessarily half, but rejected it for being ambiguous and confusing. As for straying off on tangents, that's part of what makes this site so much fun to visit and post. Also, any topic that includes a plea to make up a word is inviting light-hearted replies.

porsche June 26, 2007 @ 9:05AM

Well, she's already using "most" in its superlative sense, so technically she can't be topped, but if you want to try, you could say "I love you utmost". or "...uttermost". Technically, utmost is not an adverb, but I say go for it. You could also try a play on words by saying "I love you all", purposely misconstruing "most" to mean "nearly all", with "all" being more superlative. How about "I love you more than most"? That should get a laugh. If all else fails, you could say "I love you mostest".

porsche August 6, 2007 @ 1:29PM

The best words I can think of tie: "semi-intermittently" and "intermittently."

mathwiz000000009 August 21, 2007 @ 11:22PM

Repetitively.

I did this repetitively throughout the day.

jayunit06 January 25, 2008 @ 10:59AM

My grand daughter always say I love you Infinite (subject to no limitation or external determination)....no one can top that

nostress328 November 22, 2010 @ 1:41AM

Infinity plus one. Nyah nyah.

danwolf November 23, 2010 @ 8:51PM