An unforecasted dilemma

So someone I work with is giving me hell about the word “unforecasted.” Microsoft’s built-in dictionary doesn’t recognize it, and I’ve checked a couple of on-line dictionaries to no avail. However, a Google search shows relatively common usage in business, defense, and academic writings. I stand by it - it sounds correct to my ears and it seems to alleviate a void in nuance that is not filled by unanticipated, unpredicted and the like.

Can anyone validate or refute my stance?

Thank you, John. That's absolutely and refreshingly true. Now here's the real question. If such words are valid but not explicitly listed in the dictionary, do they count as valid words in the game "Scrabble"?

porsche January 22, 2007 @ 1:58PM

Nope, doesn't count for Scrabble, despite the validity, it has to actually be listed in the dictionary, and the official Scrabble dictionary, sadly, is the wholly lacking Merriam-Webster's.

clare.kelley January 23, 2007 @ 9:49AM

I experience the same issue with this word. My use is specific to an event that was "forecast" and a variance was not properly included in the data collection.

For example: "The original forecast called for a demand of one million units at account X for product Y. Unfortunately, the unforecasted drop in demand due to condition Z will likely net only half"

My dilemna is whether the use should be "unforecast" or "unforecasted"

Izzy March 17, 2012 @ 11:18AM

The past participle of 'cast' is 'cast' for instance 'After they had cast their bets.....'
So it should be 'unforecast' without the 'ed' for instance 'the forecast thunderstorm did not come about.'

jayles March 17, 2012 @ 3:41PM