We proofread your Google Docs or Microsoft Word files within 24 hours. We hate grammatical errors with passion. Learn More

Text, A Text, Texts

I wrote “Multiple pages of recipes from the book, each page consisting of a photo and a text.” And, Manny pointed out to me that “a text” is wrong, that it should simply be “text”. But the plural form of the word “text” actually exists. If “texts” is legal, then “a text” must also exist. In what situation would one use “a text”?

• November 5, 2002
  • Posted by Dyske
  • Filed in Grammar
  • 5 comments

Or

Now Roxy tells me that she uses "a text" in situations like "I found a reliable text on the Internet".

Dyske November 6, 2002, 2:40pm

A text generally means an individual self-cohesive text. A bunch of individual self-cohesive texts would be 'texts'. A bunch of words on a page are 'text'. This little blurb is text, not a text.

yoinkmydanish November 11, 2002, 11:46am

Dariensan nailed it: some text (the words on one or several pages in a book), a text (the whole book), some texts (several whole books).

tnh March 17, 2003, 6:34pm

So what they are saying is that it all depends on the context. Which isn't meant to trick you, this is a protext.

owl March 19, 2003, 2:05pm

Hi, I know you mean well. But that little inscription atop your website that reads, "Your pain is our pleasure" could easily be misunderstood to mean it gives you pleasure to see people in pain.

Have you considered rewriting it to read something like, "it's our pleasure to ease your pain"?

Eugenson Dennis August 10, 2016, 4:29pm