We proofread your Google Docs or Microsoft Word files within 24 hours. We hate grammatical errors with passion. Learn More

Flying (with) Colours?

Why are the colours flying in the idiom “to do something with flying colours”?

Or

Ah. Sorry. Eating popcorn on my lunch hour. :) Here's the link.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/6/mess...

speedwell2 August 18, 2004, 9:25am

Found this today. It's interesting, and it contains a first use of the phrase. I should mention that "colors" is, if I'm not mistaken, the official british and American Navy word for the flags.

speedwell2 August 18, 2004, 9:25am

I like Speedwell's explanation. In that case an exam is like a battle, if we win (pass) it we have our colours (flags) flying, if we don't we end up as losers.

marta August 18, 2004, 2:51am

Dave, you're right. The "colors" are flags, and a ship from one country that emerged victorious in a sea battle with a ship from another country would have its own colors "flying." The colors of the losing ship would have been confiscated by the winner. Or so I understand.

speedwell2 August 11, 2004, 10:28am

The saying is "to pass with flying colours", i.e. in reference to passing an exam or test. My instinctive guess would be that it is something to do with flags.

Dave August 10, 2004, 3:10am

Marta,

I keep replying to your email, but you don't seem to get it.

Dyske August 10, 2004, 3:04am