We proofread your Google Docs or Microsoft Word files within 24 hours. We hate grammatical errors with passion. Learn More

Merchandises as a word

I was wondering if it is alright to use merchandises as a word. I am reading a report where the author uses it frequently, e.g. delivery of merchandises. I think it should be delivery of merchandise rather than merchandises.

• July 3, 2007
  • Posted by annie
  • Filed in Usage
  • 7 comments

Or

This probably is not what you are seeing, but do realize that "merchandises" can very much be a word. "Merchandise" is also a verb meaning "to buy and sell goods". It's perfectly ok to say something like, oh, "Joan used to merchandise in the consumer retail industry but now she merchandises in wholesale electronics". Also, let's not forget the noun, "merchandising".

porsche July 5, 2007, 10:14am

Merchandise is an uncountable noun, like water. You can't say that you have five merchandises, or fifteen waters. You can say you have five STOREROOMS of merchandise, or fifteen BOTTLES of water.

andrea July 4, 2007, 12:42am

"Merchandise" is normally used like a mass-noun, so you can't pluralize it.

AO July 3, 2007, 1:37pm

Merchandise as a noun is correct usage and Merchandises is used as verb. In your case "Merchandises" is incorrect.

prithi chand July 5, 2007, 9:30pm

The very idea of using "merchandises" makes my skin crawl.

Jessica July 3, 2007, 8:58am

MERCHANDISE is the correct word.

dave July 3, 2007, 11:13am

merchandises is a correct English Word.

-13 April 9, 2012, 2:08am