Submitted by jude  •  October 27, 2003

age vs. aged

Is there a preference of any sort? As in “John Smith, aged 45, was awarded the city’s highest honor at a luncheon . . . ” or “John Smith, age 45, was awarded the city’s highest honor at a luncheon . . .”

"Aged" references the verb, which in this case is action of advancing 45 years. While it may sound absurd, consider the description of a wine (or even a person, I suppose) as it has "aged well". It is in regards of how one grew old (which is why it is followed by an adverb so often--ex. well, gracefully, poorily, beautifully, quickly, etc.).

To attribute age amongst someone's characteristics, "age #" works best. Age can be defined as "how long something has existed." This is what you (and John Smith!) may want.

We wouldn't say, "that house is color green", so why would we say "that boy is age 10"? Aged is correct.

Either is acceptable; you'll find that 'aged' is more popular in the UK. 'Age' implies, "this person is age____," while 'aged' implies "this person has lived _____years." Basically the same thing. I prefer 'aged' because I'm pretentious like that. Go with your gut. I mean, who gives a rat's, right? Same ish.

Newspapers are in the business of saving paper and selling news. They use a level of correctness acceptable to their readers.

it may just be me...but i think the first one is correct...hey...don't blame me for being picky...ur asked....(^o^)/

To me, the second choice sounds more fluid and correct. I've got nothing to back it up though, mere opinion.

Newspaper style tends to be the figure on its own. John Smith, 45, says exactly the same, and saves several characters