age vs. aged

Is there a preference of any sort? As in “John Smith, aged 45, was awarded the city’s highest honor at a luncheon . . . ” or “John Smith, age 45, was awarded the city’s highest honor at a luncheon . . .”

• October 27, 2003
  • Posted by jude
  • Filed in Usage

Which is correct? aged 45 years or over OR aged 45 years or more

Linda Westhar November 23, 2015, 1:58pm

Either is acceptable; you'll find that 'aged' is more popular in the UK. 'Age' implies, "this person is age____," while 'aged' implies "this person has lived _____years." Basically the same thing. I prefer 'aged' because I'm pretentious like that. Go with your gut. I mean, who gives a rat's, right? Same ish.

Allie December 6, 2012, 9:52am

We wouldn't say, "that house is color green", so why would we say "that boy is age 10"? Aged is correct.

masonedy August 6, 2010, 2:23pm

Newspapers are in the business of saving paper and selling news. They use a level of correctness acceptable to their readers.

M Stevenson April 11, 2004, 2:35am

Newspaper style tends to be the figure on its own. John Smith, 45, says exactly the same, and saves several characters

John January 12, 2004, 7:34pm

"Aged" references the verb, which in this case is action of advancing 45 years. While it may sound absurd, consider the description of a wine (or even a person, I suppose) as it has "aged well". It is in regards of how one grew old (which is why it is followed by an adverb so often--ex. well, gracefully, poorily, beautifully, quickly, etc.).

To attribute age amongst someone's characteristics, "age #" works best. Age can be defined as "how long something has existed." This is what you (and John Smith!) may want.

Sarah M. November 23, 2003, 4:02am

To me, the second choice sounds more fluid and correct. I've got nothing to back it up though, mere opinion.

Jeremy November 10, 2003, 12:28am

it may just be me...but i think the first one is correct...hey...don't blame me for being picky...ur asked....(^o^)/

diink05 November 6, 2003, 12:41pm