Is it acceptable to say “higher than” when you mean “as high as”?

Consider the following sentence: “Last year, the rent was $500, but now it’s risen to $1,000. The rent is two times higher than it used to be.”

To me, this sentence is misleading, since “two times higher” would mean starting with a value of $500 and duplicating it, twice (in other words, $500 + $500 x 2 = $1,500). It seems the correct sentence should read:

“The rent is two times as high as used to be.”

Are both forms acceptable? Unfortunately, it seems that the more confusing form (”two times higher”) has become more common.

Or

email me at harambe@idied.com
I dunno

Harambe February 21, 2017, 3:41pm

email me at harambe@idied.com
I dunno

Harambe February 21, 2017, 3:41pm

Hey, I'll let you in on a little secret. We don't all love our jobs every day. And doing something you have a passion for doesn't make the work part of it any easier...It just makes you less likely to quit. What Everybody Ought To Know About #NorwichJobs - Discover something new TODAY at: http://www.justnorfolkjobs.co.uk/jobs-in-norwich/

jay1 February 16, 2017, 6:36am

Twice what it was (= 2x).

Lexo February 13, 2017, 2:27pm

How about, "The rent has doubled.", or "The rent is now twice what it was."
Both "two times higher" and "two times as high" sound like phrases used by primary school kids.

Hairy Scot January 18, 2017, 1:18am