Computer mouses or computer mice?

Normally, the plural of mouse is mice when you are referring to those real rodents. However, in the case of a “mouse” used for the computer, can you still use the plural form “mice”, “computer mice” if you are referring to lots of computer mouse? “Computer mouses” i guess is not proper. What do you think?

Or

Legal Translator: I can to have a your PIN number?

By the way I can to espeak a the English, which I learned in Madrid in '88), and I rate Spanish banking about as highly as I rate their driving.

<November 24, 2007, 9:39am

If "mouse" is an acronym for "manually-operated user-select equipment," then "mouse devices" is not proper simply because that this phrase equals to "manually-operated user-select equipment DEVICES".

We do not say "ATM machines" since "ATM" stands for "automatic teller MACHINE".

Is that right??

Paul Kirkman January 18, 2015, 11:05pm

I now know more about computer M.O.U.S.E than I ever will really need to know. But thank you, I had the same question, I'm writing a paper for school.

Gummy January 15, 2015, 7:03pm

After reading all above comments in a variety of different accents, we have decided to join this beautiful yet mind boggling debate.
However our hearts go out to those that believe this acronym is indeed a rodent, we assure you that the plural of a Computer Mouse, is in fact Computer Mouse's.
Yours truly,
Amy stink bomb and Lilly vanilly.
ps. Stop arking everyone Akme and AnWulf.

Lilswag and ampoo December 4, 2014, 10:49pm

To those who think mouse is an acronym, it's not. They are called mouses because they look like a mouse. So I guess more than one should be mice (I prefer mouses for some obscure reason).

Akme September 19, 2014, 2:41pm

The plural of house (OE hus) in OE was hus. The plural was shown by the article. Once this shifted, it pickt up a regular 's' plural.

Grouse is not found in OE. It's a borrow'd word and thus gets an 's'. The same for lobscouse.

AnWulf May 20, 2014, 12:11pm

I have no grice with those points. Or is it singular, as there is none? So I have no grouse with those points. There we go then ...

Brus May 16, 2014, 6:54pm

@Brus - interesting point. Like you I'm a 'mice man' (in both your senses), but when I read the comments above, I naturally thought of mouses with a soft S, and now you've got me wondering why.

At Morewords.com most words listed under *ouse are variations on house. There's spouse where you seem to have a choice between hard and soft s in the singular. The only other nouns I can find with a soft s are:

grouse - bird - plural - grouse, complaint - plural - grouses (soft s?)
house - houses (hard s)
lobscouse (whence scouse) - plural (hard or soft? - I've no idea but imagine soft)
louse - plural lice

But now I'm wondering of it's houses that's the exception (out of a total of only three, admittedly - so it hardly makes it a rule).

Warsaw Will May 16, 2014, 6:28pm

If you call them mouses, do you pronounce with the z sound as in houses, or the s sound as in scouses? Both versions sound potty, as it cries out to be mice. I like mice. They have tried to eradicate them, and get us to trail our fingers over the screen to get it to do things, and tap, and stuff, but all along mice do the tricks with a few clicks - much better.

Brus May 13, 2014, 6:52pm

I call them "mice" because that's what I was taught is the plural of mouse. If I think someone is going to be confused by that, I add the word computer. Well, actually the real season I prefer "mice" is because my brother-in-law says "mouses".

mcooper61 May 13, 2014, 7:37am

Pointing devices? :-))

Hairy Scot April 14, 2014, 7:38pm

It's mice for those with a sense of humour. Mouses is absurd, and what is wrong with 'mice' anyway?
'Nuff said.

Brus April 14, 2014, 6:36pm

Its either mouses or mice. Word Man out.

The Word Man April 14, 2014, 12:39pm

@jayles - as long as it means 'full of' - here's a list of 332:
http://www.morewords.com/ends-with/ful/

Warsaw Will February 11, 2014, 8:21am

Re mouse/mice: a few nouns in English still use the Germanic umlaut/ablaut system to show plurals, like man/men, goose/geese, foot/feet. Mouse belongs here.
There are also a few nouns which are "weak" and take an -en for the plural - oxen,children, brethren (and dialect housen), and several animals which are unchanging - deer, sheep in modern English.
No reason to use mouses any more than hice.

jayles the ungreedy February 10, 2014, 8:00pm

@WW I think wot this shews is that the suffix -ful is pretty much portable almost like an inflection, provided of course the result is meaning-ful.
Looks like the spelling follows the French pattern.

jayles the ungreedy February 10, 2014, 7:48pm

@Brus -Yes, I think it is indeed. What's more, you have introduced me to a word that is new to me. A word that definitely exists, but is hard to get much information about (only one British dictionary seems to list it - Collins - and it's not a lot of help). So my (genuine) question is - .did you choose 'humourful' because it has a semantic nuance that is different from 'humorous' or because you like the sound - for the fun of it, so to speak.

Actually I may have found the answer in a book called 'The making of love' - 'For people with a reasonably confident, mutually tolerant and humourful sex life' - full of humour is not I suppose the same as being humorous (which is perhaps more jokey?). Here's one from a life of Shakespeare published in 1908, where I'm not so sure I see such a difference:

"and first taking his due lead before all other men in The Merchant of Venice, then sinking almost his history in the humourful comedies of Falstaff and the brilliant plays of the Second Period that succeeded them"

The earliest example I can find is from 1868, "Who, indeed, can understand the humourful bright soul, if the author of the Biglow Papers cannot?" (FJ Furnivall talking about Chaucer)

So I guess 'full of humour' is slightly different from 'humorous'. Incidentally, I wonder why, in British English, we keep the u in 'humourful', but drop it in humorous. Strange!

Anyway, thanks for that.

Warsaw Will February 10, 2014, 3:35pm

But isn't it just more humourful, more fun indeed, to call these devices mice? Is that indeed not why we do it, regardless of the stern, possibly even puritanical views of the dictionary makers?

Brus February 10, 2014, 12:30pm

The Concise Oxford Dictionary- Tenth edition: (pl. also mouses) Computing a small hand-held device which is dragged across a flat surface to move the cursor on a computer screen, having buttons which are pressed to control computer functions.

Geme Tom February 10, 2014, 2:46am

I don't care w/c is correct! I think mice should be used for rodents and mouses for the device. ahahahah I love this topic! Just to ease boredom I stumbled to this! LOL This is a good topic for my co-teachers.

regine October 7, 2013, 9:24am

I have been proofreading this case study (a management school's) and it is about a big player in the computer peripherals. They refer to "mice" throughout the article... Well it may the author and publisher's preference really but "mice" definitely sounds very awkward... and i realize there is no final word on this yet....

Ashni September 13, 2013, 3:19am

Here's an even better one for you. Is it "I weedeated the yard yesterday" or "I weedate the yard yesterday?"

Wendell Vincent August 25, 2013, 10:29pm

The majority of electronic companies all refer to the "device in question" as mice. Check online at all the manufacturers such Apple, Dell, and HP.

IT TECH GOD May 16, 2013, 11:51am

Actually not back from travels as I am in northern Laos in a beautiful place called Vang Vieng where one chills and floats on the river and frets about nothing at all except erroneous English. No Schadenfreude here because everyone is nice and would not think of such a thing. I recommend a trip here to any stressed persons.

Brus January 23, 2013, 1:00am

Hi, Brus. Back from your travels already? I could always try doing a Captain Mainwaring and say "I was wondering which of one you would be the first to spot my deliberate mistake", but I don't suppose you'd swallow that one. Let's just call it a schadenfreudian slip. My slip, your schadenfreude.

Warsaw Will January 22, 2013, 9:44am

MOUSE given it's name? Oh dear, you let yourself down there. Shame! Of course the plural is mice, just as it's name should be its name.

Brus January 22, 2013, 1:41am

@LG - being facetious, on that basis there is no plural of MOUSE, as equipment is uncountable and has no plural. So if you want to buy one, you should really ask for a piece of MOUSE. Incidentally, some people way back near the beginning of the discussion nearly got there, but equipment is not plural, it's uncountable (or non-count).

However the idea that MOUSE is an acronym seems to have come along a decade or so after the mouse was given it's name, and the inventor really was thinking of the animal, so it's probably best just to do what the dictionaries do and accept both mice and mouses. Personally I go for mice.

Warsaw Will January 18, 2013, 3:45pm

WOW... So many arguments for such a simple discussion!
If MOUSE is an acronym for "manually-operated user-select equipment" then it has nothing to do with the animal and therefore the plural form is not MICE... it is MOUSES!

LG January 18, 2013, 2:59pm

Backronyms give me geesepimple.

Robbert Forbes MacGregor December 23, 2012, 5:00pm

I had this question in a computer test about 20 years ago. M.O.U.S.E actually stands for "M.ovement O.riented U.ser S.ignal E.quipment and because the original non wireless device looks like a mouse with a tail. I think it was born in Xerox labs in Palo Alto way before Microsoft Windows.

BiBostin December 20, 2012, 7:31pm

It is "mouses". Has been official ever since Compute Magazine did a reader survey and ruled on it back in the mid 80's.

WayneMV November 11, 2012, 10:40pm

I have my doubts on what PimpleMaze said, in my country we speak spanish, and we dont say, " Quiero comprar un ratón". We say, "Quiero comprar un Mouse" (Quiero comprar un... = I want to buy a... in spanish) but i don't know, the creators didn't made a plural form for it, so we can be creative with it I think. Give me three of those mouse things.

PUOST01 October 8, 2012, 5:58pm

If you put the word 'computer' in front of it then everyone will know what you mean. Just sayin'...

schlim01 September 28, 2012, 3:46pm

I prefer to say/write "mouses". It sounds better to me than computer mice. Let rodents be rodents and distinguish it. I sometimes have two computer mouses on my table, but they just stand still on their place, they don´t have eyes, legs and I'm sure they don´t run across my table all the time (without my interference). They aren´t afraid of me, as well (or at least I hope so :D) so there´s no reason for me to call them like animals.

computer "mouses" [+1 Vote]

kohout August 16, 2012, 2:16pm

In Dutch: muis - muizen
In German: maus - Mäuse
In Spanish: ratón - ratones
In Portuguese: rato - ratos
In French: souris - souris

Can't we just keep it simple and do
mouse - mice
in English?

PimpleMaze July 3, 2012, 3:21pm

Someone said earlier that mouse is an acronym for "Manually Operated User Selection Equipment". This is wrong. That is a backronym: a fictitious acronym made up after the fact. Those of us who were there when this all happened know it is called a mouse because it vaguely resembles one.

Donald May 22, 2012, 2:21pm

I worked with a Tech guy awhile, and we prefer calling them "mice," after the Rodent. We don't call them computer mice, just Mice. but hey, this topic is long enough to where it's become more of a rant.

Theseus12 April 27, 2012, 2:59pm

the are called mouses and who ever calles them mice and fags

mouses April 12, 2012, 9:16am

Mongeese is noted so often that maybe it should be thought of as alternativ plural! However, Google NGrams show that mongooses still heavily outnumbers mongeese in usage but, hey, mongeese doesn't hurt my ears.

AnWulf February 17, 2012, 10:17am

Yes AnWulf, but the man in the pet shop didn't know that because you were not there to tell him.

Brus February 16, 2012, 4:32pm

The word mongoose comes from Marathi maṅgūs. The anglicized spelling has nothing to do with its plural form and, as is normal for most outlander words, it was given the regularized English 's' plural form.

AnWulf February 16, 2012, 4:37am

mouse - mice. computer mouse - computer mice. goose - geese. mongoose - ?

Did you hear about the man who wanted two, and didn't know what to ask for at the pet shop? He thought about it, worked it out, went in and said "I want to buy a mongoose. And another one."

Yes, really!

Brus February 15, 2012, 12:33pm

It's been that way since Old English:
mus > mys ... mouse > mice
lus > lys ... louse > lice
hus > hus ... plural for hus in OE was betokened by make the article plural. Once the article became fixed and no longer showed gender and number, then house was regularized by adding an 's'.

AnWulf February 14, 2012, 9:06am

Why does it have to be so illogical?

mouse : mice :: house : hice ??

mouses is just very logical to me.

some February 13, 2012, 1:40am

Computer mice wins in Google Books ... hands down: http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=co...

AnWulf February 11, 2012, 3:00pm

Is 'pointing devices' another term for fingers?

jeljms February 10, 2012, 11:45pm

it's rather unfortunate that,Douglas is no more.anyway,if Douglas named the device after the living creature 'mouse',he never gave a plural form of the device and so it'll remain that way.the only mention name that i'll go by is 'mouse devices' as the plural of the computer mouse.i think it's a matter of preferance,be it mice,mouses,meeses or mooses because not any one of them is said to be wrong.

andani December 8, 2011, 3:03am

How about "pointing devices"?

Hairy Scot December 1, 2011, 3:54pm

"...when has definition ever affected pluralization?" As well as the "exocentric" compounds already mentioned, here's another example of a different kind: index in the sense of a serial number (e.g. in a formula or indexed table) has the plural 'indices', but books have alphabetical 'indexes' at the end.
Bringing the Google vote up to date, its now Mice 43,000,000; Mouses 8,070,000; Mouse devices 98,600 and (my favourite till today) Mouse units a mere 1,290. So I guess I'll use mouses in speech (while it's still plausible), but in formal writing I'll have to change from mouse units to mouse devices. Definitely out, though, is Mouse pointers, which is used to mean Cursors.

Cadfryn December 1, 2011, 1:30pm

I think it would sound gramatically incorrect to refer two of these devices as mouses. Lets not worry about the etymology of the term. Dont you see it really look like a real mouse...therefore, mice when two or more.

Everisto October 25, 2011, 8:48am

Dear sir I would like to purchase two computer mouses . . . . mice . . . mmmm...
Dear sir, I would like to order a computer mouse.

PS. Make that two!

Pete October 5, 2011, 4:46am

I am a student in the OIT department for my university and I had to put several mouses, mice, meeses, myse, mousen away today and that's what brought me here... geeks are awesome! great debate! ( I thought mouses sounded right due to walkman/ walkmans but I wasn't sure-now I am REALLY not sure- Microsoft or Oxford Dictionary)

joanna August 19, 2011, 4:39pm

Throwing my vote into the hat with mouses. Some lady corrected me today, all condescending, "I think you mean MICE." I wanted to argue with her, but wasn't completely sure I was right. Apparently there's no consensus, but at the very least it seems mouses is an accepted form (and seems to have the majority in this thread).

I've always said mouses and I'm standing by it.

Justin July 20, 2011, 3:17pm

hello, i belive the answer to this question is mouses, i do not believe mice is appropriate in this context, thank you for your time and consideration.. love you all, sincerley, mouses

vicky k July 8, 2011, 1:38am

Official ruling? Do we have a National Academy as they do for Spanish?

AnotherTry June 10, 2011, 4:49am

I agree with Red. If there is yet no "official" plural, then "mouses" would avoid confusion.

Steve George March 8, 2011, 5:51pm

I have to toss in with the 'mouses' group.

Talking about the 'mice' in the building just might bring down the wrath of the Health Department. And that just results in RATS on the premises.

Red March 7, 2011, 12:27pm

Well, on a lighter note, since we - non-feline folk - can't decide it, shan't we call in a real cat to tell us what's what? At least a cat would be able to tell where his mouse is buttered -- I beg your pardon, how his MICE are plural(ised)!

adelekefakoya March 5, 2011, 6:30pm

Actually I read somewhere that computers refer to them as mouses and not mice at all, I think the computer would know

wolffighterx December 17, 2010, 7:13am

It is mouses. I've read from several sources, including PC Gamer, PC Maximum, online sources, as well as television programs that all say "Computer Mouses" is the official pronunciation, while "mice" is acceptable. I personally have always said mouses, as well have many of my friends and family members. I leave on this:
MOUSES +1 VOTE

mdangeli01 December 9, 2010, 8:44pm

"Unless of course they are the sort of people who do not approve of prepositions at the end of sentences, when we do well to ignore them" --Stevens

This sort of rule monger-er seems to me the majority of those posting messages on this board. Of course the particular rule you mention is now disgraced, but there are plenty of others. Also, such people are hard to ignore as they are often in powerful positions.

fmerton December 2, 2010, 1:50pm

It's not a problem for the Irish as they pronounce house as hice so mouse would be mice

bcdmul December 2, 2010, 1:15pm

If you are doing a test, "correct" is what your teacher says is correct. Otherwise it is not a very useful word in the context of a living language.

There is no official grammar of English, and no academy or central authority to tell us what is correct or not, so usage reigns.

With newish terms, when there is not enough experience to establish some sort of convention (or standard), the best we can do is make a guess at what our audience will most approve of.

Unless of course they are the sort of people who do not approve of prepositions at the end of sentences, when we do well to ignore them.

rmensies November 30, 2010, 3:29pm

If we can survive with, "one sheep, two sheep," why can't we live with "one mouse, two mouse."

fmerton November 29, 2010, 3:46am

MICE!!

chrisbolton20 November 9, 2010, 10:13pm

MOUSES!

poop November 9, 2010, 10:00pm

It used to be common among hackers (in the MIT sense) to pluralize things using the (normally non-productive) suffix -en (as in oxen). Thus, the correct plural for (computer) mouse is undoubtedly...mousen!

petey July 10, 2010, 7:30am

One sheep, two sheep, three sheep (yawn);

The plural of 'mouse' devices is also mouse (i've just decided); so its...

One mouse, two mouse, three mouse, three blind mouse

ewdark June 12, 2010, 4:39pm

<strong>New Oxford American Dictionary, 2nd Edition. © 2005 by Oxford University Press:</strong>
<blockquote>(pl. also <strong>mouses</strong>) Computing a small hand-held device that is dragged across a flat surface to move the cursor on a computer screen, typically having buttons that are pressed to control computer functions</blockquote>

I guess it's OK if we distinguish the rodents and devices grammatically :)

mykhailo May 19, 2009, 1:13pm

Mouses...mice...mices....we all know what we mean right?

pauline.kay9 May 19, 2009, 10:58am

I think people should respect academic issues for the value they add to our society. Making comments that don't edify anyone - even the writer! - is, to say the least, like clouds and wind without rain.

projectenglish May 8, 2009, 2:03pm

For those of you running Windows XP (possibly other operating systems, too), if you go to "device manager" you will find that your mouse is listed under "Mice and other pointing devices". I guess that means that Microsoft prefers "mice".

porsche March 7, 2009, 6:21pm

i think its a very interesting topic. The views of Whitey are very informative and i took this on board while trying to search for my solution. After hours of deliberation and a thesis conducted by myself last year i came up with the following conclusion:

does it matter much? u know what i mean what eva i say, thats what language is for!

though most people agreed from my surveys that it was mousification units!

sleep better!

dan March 6, 2009, 4:31am

I am a nobber.

Weeza Cardose December 19, 2008, 7:41am

I sleep with a pillow under ym gun.
Fuck yo' mouses...

Chuck Norris December 19, 2008, 7:40am

it's mouses, the pope told me so.

bob dillon December 19, 2008, 7:39am

NIGGA STOLE MY BIKE!

Whitey November 20, 2008, 4:02am

No, People, I am the father of modern technology!

Darth Vader November 20, 2008, 4:01am

What do you mean, Kylie? If you read everything here, you should conclude that you were completely correct. You would only have been incorrect if you insisted that it was the ONLY way to say it.

Anonymous November 6, 2008, 8:32am

That would be "department heads".
I work at an English Language college, and nobody believed me when I said it was "mouses, so I came here to look it up. Guess I wasn't as correct as I thought I was.

kylierain November 5, 2008, 12:33pm

Please how do you pluralise a phrase like 'head of department'? Is it 'heads of department' or heads of departments'?

adelekefakoya July 8, 2008, 6:28pm

Mouse (computing)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_(computing)

[edit] Etymology and plural
The first known publication of the term "mouse" as a pointing device is in Bill English's 1965 publication "Computer-Aided Display Control"[2]

The Compact Oxford English Dictionary (third edition) and the fourth edition of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language endorse both computer mice and computer mouses as correct plural forms for computer mouse. The form Mouse, however, appears most commonly, while some authors of technical documents may prefer either mouse devices or the more generic pointing devices. The plural mouses treats mouse as a "headless noun."

flashmojo July 2, 2008, 12:56am

Is there any other field of study where someone would say "It's wrong because I say so"? Whales are fish, because I say so. Tomatoes are poisonous, because I say so.

John May 21, 2008, 10:24am

While this thread has gone on for years now (Yearses?) why not keep it going? Yes people say ATM Machine; but they are wrong. How do I know they're wrong? Because I say so.

I have a magazine from either "RUN", "Compute!", or "Byte" from the early '80s in a box in my garage somewhere that discuses mouses. The box is easy to find since it's labeled "Commodore-64". It specifically states that mouse is an acronym. I don't care what the inventor says. He's wrong too! How do I know? See previous paragraph.

But aren't acronyms capitalized? (With the exection of special acronyms: scuba, radar, I'm sure there are dozens more) I think mouse is the most special of acronyms, just like YAHOO. Can you look up an acronym on an acronym? Hmmm.

I have always called them mouses.

jimmy May 21, 2008, 6:22am

by the way, monkey, while you may be technically right, many DO say ATM "machines".

Anonymous March 10, 2008, 1:51pm

al gets my vote for computer mouses from a logical linguistic stand but I could be persuaded to to take on ao's "myse", sfter all how many thousands of new words have been invented for the technological revolution.

John March 8, 2008, 4:43pm

Is that right?

legaltranslator November 24, 2007, 9:39am

Uh!

Fábio November 23, 2007, 1:49am

I think the correct term shiould be Mouse devices. I am a teacher and think that confusing young minds with Mice, Mouses would be detrimental to their studies

mkristofulani November 22, 2007, 10:43pm

Interesting, very interesting.

Jeff November 14, 2007, 1:19am

I just love listening to KPIG.

mouseuser October 30, 2007, 5:13pm

Damn, here i was looking for confirmation to explain to my Spanish students about the mouses/mice debate.According to Steven Pinker in "The Language Instinct" there are headless nouns (John above calls them exocentric where the right-hand element does not denominate the type of thing (a race hores is a type of horse, a horse race is a type of race). In words like low-life and sabre-tooth, they aren't types of life or teeth but a person who lives a seedy lifestyle and an extinct cat. Therefore we automatically block off the irregular plural and say low-lifes and sabre-tooths.Similarly, plural of Walkman is Walkmans, not Walkmen, cos it isn't a type of man.
(similarly according to Pinker, in baseball, a ball that flies out in the past is "flied out", not flew out- tho don't follow the sport so not really sure)
Does all this apply to (computer) mouse?Dunno, but mouses sounds more logical to me.
Some people think plural of octopus is octopi. Doesn't much matter really

al October 23, 2007, 7:37am

Everyday upon waking till we return to bed, we are inundated with NEEDLESS rules: what fork must I use, when is it improper to laugh, to hug to kiss or breast feed my infant. "Mouses" has become absolutely refreshing and gets my vote!

r_sernau October 14, 2007, 2:58pm

1 computer mouse
2 computer myse

adopt my new usage, or....don't.

AO May 29, 2007, 9:54pm

Hey Trip, maybe they ARE referring to it in the plural and they think the plural of mouse is mouse!

Anonymous May 29, 2007, 9:36am

I recently purchase a 5 pack of the "devices in question" from Logitech.
The main label on the box says "OPTICAL MOUSE Enterprise Edition 5-Pack".

On the list of package contents it is listed as "Optical Mouse (qty.5)"

They never refer to mouse in the plural.

That - to me - says it all... Even the manufacturers don't know which to use so they don't use the plural.

Personally I prefer mouses.

tripp May 28, 2007, 11:53am

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmouses....
discusses this, and gives Engelbart's opinion. But it's not really up to him, is it?

ghoti February 7, 2007, 4:18pm

Wonderful question, and something I have thought about before. I decided to stick by my mouses, prevailing opinion be damned.

Mice is plural for the furry little rodents. But I suspect that irregular plurals do generally become regular when the word changes meaning.

"Mice" just doesn't sit well with me, but I have to admit it's simply a style choice.

chinatrout February 7, 2007, 4:11pm

This has been a wonderful discussion, it has all finally come out, and the beast is exposed. We can use whatever seems right at the moment we are met with the need to pluralize.

It depends on where you are and whether you want to sound knowledgeable, agreeable or plain silly, which are all acceptable by the way.

christine February 6, 2007, 10:47pm

Why would you have more then one mouse??? Each computer has a mouse!!

kthackel2008 February 6, 2007, 1:02pm

"When has definition ever effected pluralization?"

In exocentric compounds, like the examples I gave. "Maple Leafs" are different from "maple leaves". "flat foots" are different from "flat feet".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_(linguistics)

John January 31, 2007, 2:53pm